Author Topic: The Eagle and Lamb, Ely  (Read 3699 times)

Offline AndrewMartin

• RootsChat Member
  • Tweet me: www.twitter.com/familytreeuk
    • View Profile
The Eagle and Lamb, Ely
« on: Monday 21 July 08 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I recently found that two of my Gt Gt Gt Grandparents (Mr and Mrs George and 'Vine' Cross), were publicans of The Eagle and Lamb pub in Ely. They were there from 1892-1904. During this time, George died and his widow took over as landlord.

I've got a whole load of records, census bits etc on the pair but I'd like to know if anyone has, or knows the whereabouts, of a photograph of The Eagle and Lamb pub. It has since been demolished (1980s, i think!). Of course, it would be great to see it during the time that my ancestors were landlords... but I'd be happy with ANY photo of it whatsoever.

I've checked out Frith, Google, Cambridgeshire Collection, Flickr, the book Ely Inns and Pubs and none of these appear to have one.

Hope that someone can help...

Andrew Martin
Cambridgeshire, England.
https://www.familytreeuk.co.uk
https://familyhistoriespodcast.com

Researching: BABBIDGE, BAILEY, BARBER, BARKER, BISHOP, BOULTER, BOWERS, BRIGHTWELL, BURNELL, CLARKE, COOPER, CROSS, DEWEY, DEWSBURY, FLOWER, FREEMAN, GAWTHROP, GIDDINGS, GIGNER, GILBERT, GILLIONS, GOLTRIP, GOTHARD, HARRISON, HAWKINS, IRONS, JEFFERY, LEVITT, MARTIN, MODEN, NEWMAN, NEWELL, ONG, TALL, TAYLOR, TINGEY, WHITEHEAD, YARROW.

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
Re: The Eagle and Lamb, Ely
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 January 09 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've only just noticed this post.  The pub remained open until 1932 and survived in derelict condition in 1986 but was demolished soon after.  I have a photograph of the property in a very derelict condition taken just before it was demolished.  The photograph was taken by an Angela Scales from Tunbridge Wells who was researching the Scales family history - they owned the property in the mid 19th century.  She is now married and I don't have her married name or current address.  The photo is her copyright but I am sure she wouldn't mind if I passed a copy to you for personal use only.  My contact with her was through Cambridgeshire brewery history research

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex