Author Topic: Cudworth Armstrongs  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Moonraker55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cudworth Armstrongs
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Fascinating stuff. I have a fast growing list of people who lived here in Cudworth before the opening of the neighbouring deep mines, when this area was all farming with the oddd shallow mine and quarry. I have not come across any Armstrongs as yet, so I imagine that Geoff's family were relative latecomers having moved in from elsewhere.

Orchard - Wiltshire, London, Surrey
Archard - Wiltshire
Pleasance - Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey
Fletcher - Middlesex, Warwickshire, Surrey
Morgan - Monmouthsire, Gwent, Illinois
Taylor - Essex, Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
I dont want to confuse you but I had a similar story of such an
age gap on one of my families.
It turned out the youngest was the child of one of the other
siblings and was brought up by the Grandad and Gran as
one of their own?  :o

regards Sandymc 
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Moonraker55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
That, in itself would not confuse me. My wife's parents divorced, but not before her father's father and her mother's mother, both previously widowed, married each other and took over as de facto parents of my wife. They did the same for grandchildren by other parents also. Consequently my wife grew up believing her cousins to be her siblings.
To make things more confusing (if having parents who were by now step-siblings was not confusing enough) her mother now married again and produced a boy, who was over twenty years younger than my wife. When her mother died, which she did when the boys was still four years old, my wife took him on. She was already married and her own daughters considered the boy to be their brother.
So, my wife's mother's father-in-law became her step-father. My wife's father's mother-in-law became his step-mother. My wife's mother also became her step-aunt and likewise her father cecame her step-uncle - if such things are recognised! My wife's brother was brought up as her son, who was brother to the girls whose great-grandmother was his own grandmother. The person he regarded as his great-grandfather, was, in fact, no relation at all, since he and my wife were only half-siblings. However, his sisters who were actually his nieces, were related to both great-grandparents. You really do need a clear head for this...

The Armstrongs do not have a gap in my mind. Geoff relates the story of his father, grandfather and great-grandfather, all of whom lived and worked in this very road, but at different points along it. Geoff's grandfather owned and occupied the site that Geoff now owns and occupies. However, in common with something over 90% of the population of Cudworth, their forebears came from elsewhere becuase they arrived here to work in the newly opened deep mines - of which there were at least six within walking distance. A good many had come from the Staffordshire and Derbyshire areas. Before 1850 the population of this township was a mere 550 people. By 1900 it was approaching 10,000.
Orchard - Wiltshire, London, Surrey
Archard - Wiltshire
Pleasance - Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey
Fletcher - Middlesex, Warwickshire, Surrey
Morgan - Monmouthsire, Gwent, Illinois
Taylor - Essex, Cambridgeshire, London, Surrey

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
After reading all of that I think its me thats confused laugh  ???

I especially liked the way you told us the population of Cudworth,
the first thing I thought was that half of them must be called Armstrong.

Hope you find you family laugh,

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown