Author Topic: FRY Family - Lacock, Wiltshire  (Read 40483 times)

Offline Katie_F

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
FRY Family - Lacock, Wiltshire
« on: Monday 28 July 08 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am looking into the Fry family in Lacock in Wiltshire.  I think there may even still be Frys there as only one branch of the family moved.

Anyone else looking for Frys?

Katie
Fry (Wiltshire/Derbyshire), Nicholls (London/Kent), Fyrth (Dover, Kent), Hoy (Kent), Shorter (Kent), Walton (Dover, Kent)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Fry Family - Lacock, Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 July 08 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie and welcome to Rootschat

Could you give us a bit more info re: your particular Fry family (eg) christian names and approx birthyears.  Do you need help with census lookups etc?

The 1901 census is the last searchable one and there were over 700 "Fry" entries in Wiltshire.

10 entries were actually born in Lacock and 6 of those 10 were actually living in Lacock in 1901
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 July 08 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie

Welcome to Rootschat :D

To add to what Carole says there were 25 Frys in Lacock in 1841.

Do you know Lacock at all? I used to live near there - a very pretty national trust village much used for period dramas.

Let us know if we can help in anyway with your research

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie,

I've been doing a short study of the Fry's of Castle Combe, another picturesque Wiltshire village.   Some of these  Frys came from other villages in north Wiltshire and may link with your family.   To date I have 113 Frys plus associated families.

If you are interested the family can be seen at http://davierj2.tribalpages.com/  The latest Fry can be seen on the associated website Young Gun.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Katie_F

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FRY Family - Lacock, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hello all, thanks for your replies.

I don't need census look-ups thanks, I was just wondering whether anyone else was researching the same family.  Or if anyone is from Lacock and knows of there being any Frys there still.

I went to Lacock at the weekend, it was beautiful.  Had a look in the village cemetary and found 9 Frys there - last one (I saw) died in 1942 so would not be too surprised if there were still Frys/descendants in the village.  I emailed their family history group so hopefully they will reply and I can ask them about it too.

Thanks
Fry (Wiltshire/Derbyshire), Nicholls (London/Kent), Fyrth (Dover, Kent), Hoy (Kent), Shorter (Kent), Walton (Dover, Kent)

Offline frys chocolate

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie

Any link to the Corston Fry's  an old quaker family from Wiltshire made famous by the manufacture of chocolate among other things

I have lots of info about the Fry's from 1500 to the present day

Regards  David

Offline AndyUK1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Lyneham Village Online www.lynehamvillage.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 April 09 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie,
Like you I am also trying to reseach the FRY family in our locality. There was a Frank and Edith FRY who lived at LYNEHAM COURT prior to the Air Ministry decision to demolish the fine manor building in 1939 to make way for the present RAF Lyneham estate.
We have been extensively trying to find family info, photographs associated with the family and in particular Lyneham Court. If you know or have links to any photos/info it would be greatly appreciated
So far we are researching Lyneham's past and the FRY family data is here http://www.lynehamvillage.com/history/manors.html
Good luck too,
Hoping we can tie the ends
Andy
Lyneham Wiltshire
Buxton, Fry, Pullen, Rumboll, Walker-Heneage, Heneage,

Offline martin young

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 May 09 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I have Fry's from Bristol and Cameley, Somerset in my family.

During my research I have acquired a document of the pedigree of the Fry's from Corston, Wiltshire from roughly 1900 back to 1530ish.

Is it of use to anyone?

Does anyone else have Fry's from Somerset?

Offline MMEK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

I am looking for Frys in Somerset.  We have a Sarah Fry (b.1762 in Wells) m George Kitching (the younger) b.1758 in St Cuthbert, Wells.  Her parents were Stephan Fry (b.1733) and Johanna Fussell. My interest is in the Kitching family.  The family chat has it that the Frys are related to the Frys chocolate family but I can not find a link.

Does your pedigree relate to this branch of Frys?
Margaret