Author Topic: IGI Batch numbers not on Hugh Wallis  (Read 18835 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: IGI Batch numbers not on Hugh Wallis
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Lizzie,

Very interesting ...

But after investigating further my head is spinning  ::)

As you well know, a search in the online IGI selecting region British Isles and batch number I024927 brings up a batch of females-only christenings with the place listed throughout as Castle Hall, Cheshire (admittedly I haven't ploughed through the whole batch but I suspect it is all listed as Castle Hall).

If one enters Film No 1647367 (the one you were given by the London FHC as being the source of batch I024927) in a Film/Fiche number search in the online LDS library catalogue on FamilySearch, it brings up the following:
Item 1 Bishop's transcripts for Capesthorne, 1722-1879  Church of England. Chapelry of Capesthorne (Cheshire)
Item 2 Bishop's transcripts of Carrington, 1876-1895  Church of England. Chapelry of Carrington (Cheshire)
Item 3 Bishop's transcripts for Castle Hall, 1892-1893  Church of England. Chapelry of Castle Hall (Cheshire)
Item 4 Bishop's transcripts for Chadkirk, 1790-1913  Church of England. St. Chad's Church (Chadkirk, Cheshire)

Now let's try entering 2147234 (the one provided by the relative) in the film/fiche search of the LDS library catalogue on FamilySearch.  This brings up:
Items 1 - 6 Parish registers for the chapelry of Chadkirk, 1747-1910  Church of England. St. Chad's Church (Chadkirk, Cheshire)
Items 7 - 13 Parish registers for Eastham, Cheshire, 1598-1954  Church of England. Parish Church of Eastham (Cheshire)

Now - let's just confuse things further :)

Let's go back to the online IGI and this time select British Isles and make an entry only in the Film No box.

In the online IGI, select British Isles and enter Film no 1647367 (the one provided by the London FHC).
It brings up females-only christenings but there are people who weren't on I024927 and places include (as well as Castle Hall) Capesthorne and Carrington!  (I haven't gone through the whole list to see whether any other places are listed).

Do the same search (region British Isles) but this time enter only Film No 2147234 (the one which the relative has).
Nil result.

Now try one of the Capesthorne and one of the Carrington christenings from the Film No 1647367 search.

A Capesthorne one:
Sarah Mafsey (probably an error for Massey - with a long 's'), bap Capesthorne 1836.
Up she comes, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth.
Batch No is I024925 (no source information).
A small batch of females-only christenings, all Capesthorne.

A Carrington one:
Jean McCorenell, bap Carrington, 1893.
Up she comes, daughter of James and Margaret.
Batch No is I024926 (no source information).
A small batch of females-only christenings, all Carrington.

So we haven't yet found any Chadkirk ones ...

Did the relative specify whether her earlier information came from the online IGI or from the (old) microfiche?

Why did I ever start querying 'I' batches ...

All the best,

JAP

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 18:08 BST (UK) »
JAP - Sorry had to log off one of my sons, his partner, his 3 sons and her daughter and son all arrived!  They left some time ago, went shopping and then set off home and just realised that the second eldest (age 13) has left his wallet behind, so now they'll have to come back again!

Re the IGI etc, now I'm as confused as you are. ::)  From what this maybe relative has said, although she is American she came over to the UK and went to either Stockport Library which holds all the records, or the Cheshire Records office, or perhaps both I don't know, but I have the impression she has seen the original microfiche somewhere.  I know she has been researching for years.

I didn't know you could search the Library catalogue, that's very interesting.  I'll get my OH to have a look at it.  I know he's contacted Cheshire Records Office and asked them to do some research for him (he's paid so now I don't feel guilty about buying BMD certificates for my family history!!).

Now try one of the Capesthorne and one of the Carrington christenings from the Film No 1647367 search.

A Capesthorne one:
Sarah Mafsey (probably an error for Massey - with a long 's'), bap Capesthorne 1836.

A Carrington one:

So we haven't yet found any Chadkirk ones ...

Do you mean you found a name on the original batch and put in the name and the London FHC film number and came up with different batch numbers?

Interestingly, I found another "I" batch  relating to the marriage in Norfolk of my  g.g.gran in 1837!  It gives the date of the marriage, which is probably correct - I've sent for the marriage certificate to verify it, but the GRO reference is the correct quarter.  As you might expect for a batch of I records it gives both male and female and all from 1837, but covers numerous places in Norfolk (I gave up counting when I'd got to 15).  With records from 1837 it seems pointless just to quote a batch number.

Lizzie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 18:17 BST (UK) »
JAP

Just remembered that we did try entering a name from the original I024927 and coming up with different batch numbers.  My OH reckons that they are in numerical order so each batch number relates to the parish next to the previous one, i.e.

I024925 - Capesthorne
I024926 - Carrington
I024927 - Castle Hall

and so on, except there doesn't seem to be any batches before I024925 or after I024927!

Lizzie

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hello again Lizzie,

FHL FILMS

At least you've got some film numbers now!

So, if you wished, you could order in - to your nearest LDS FHC - FHL Film  #1647367.  As I've said above, that's the film with Bishop's Transcripts for
- Chapelry of Capesthorne
- Chapelry of Carrington
- Chapelry of Castle Hall
- St Chad's, Chadwick

Once you locate, on the actual film, the people from Batch I024927 in whom you are interested, you will then know for sure which church/chapelry they were christened in.

If it turns out that they were christened in the Chapelry of Castle Hall (as it says in Batch I024927) that's fine.

But if it turns out that they were actually christened in St Chad's in Chadwick, that would mean that batch I024927 has errors in it.

Incidentally, if it does turn out that they were christened in St Chad's, you might then want to order in FHL Film #2145475 (as it is the actual Parish Registers of St Chad's - not just Bishop's Transcripts).

YOUR QUESTION

Quote from: JAP

A Capesthorne one:

A Carrington one:

Do you mean you found a name on the original batch and put in the name and the London FHC film number and came up with different batch numbers?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the original batch".  So, I'll spell out exactly what I did do  :)

What I did was to look at the list of names which had come up when I did an online IGI search with only British Isles selected,and film number 2147234 entered.

As I said, the list of names included those from Castle Hall (which we already knew were in Batch I024927).  But it also included some from Capesthorne and some from Carrington - so I was interested to find out what Batches they were in.

In order to find this out, I noted down (on a piece of paper) the details of one of the Capesthorne christenings and one of the Carrington christenings.

Then I simply did standard searches for each of those in the online IGI i.e. entering the name, selecting birth/baptism, entering the year, and selecting British Isles.  As I said above, the Capesthorne one came up as Batch I024925 and the Carrington one came up as Batch I024926.  I then checked out the full content of each of those Batches.

Hope that's clear  ;)

Cheers,

JAP

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jap

Sorry - original batch just meant the one I had originally mentioned ending in 27.  I think my OH had already done that search of names from Carrington and Capesthorne.  However, I've sent him your suggestion regarding ordering film 1647367 to see where the first 3 children we found were baptised.  He'll probably do that as he's always wanting me to order films from the local LDC when I don't need to. ???

Lizzie