Author Topic: IGI Batch numbers not on Hugh Wallis  (Read 18816 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: IGI Batch numbers not on Hugh Wallis
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 11:59 BST (UK) »
JAP

Just did what you said and found there are over 500 females baptised at Castle Hall, Stalybridge in the late 1700s/early 1800s.  My OH thinks he might have found the church,  St George’s Chapel, Cocker Hill, built in around 1780, a hexagonal building just on the outskirts of the old Castle Hall area.  In the early 1800s a new St George's Chapel was built and the old one renovated and apparently used as a school or something.  The old one was demolished in about 1960.  He's going to send e-mails as you suggested.

Lizzie

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 12:55 BST (UK) »

but I thought each batch number related to one family, is this correct?
Lizzie, when you put in a batch number with a name, the search brings up ALL people with that name, not necessarily the same family.
Another couple of hints with batch numbers;
if you find a birth and want to find siblings, add the parent's names.
if you find a birth and want to find parent's marriage, change the C to an M, eg; C123456 changed to M123456 will give you marriages at the same church about the same time. Or vice-versa, change an M to a C.

Also worth trying; add or subtract [1] to your batch number, eg;  C123455 or C123457
These don't always work but are definitely worth a try.
Leonie.

Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,  Looking forward to hearing the replies which the OH receives  :)

And Jill, Nice idea about the funny water!  I like it  ;)

But such (females only) batches occur all round the UK.  My researches have found them most commonly in Ayrshire, Scotland - but that might be because I've concentrated on lookups there.  They certainly also occur in many other parts of the UK.

And, of course, the males are on the actual film of the church register.

Keep looking!  All the answers might eventually be revealed  ;D

JAP

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 13:16 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the Mormons think women are more worth saving.

Jill - Or they think they are more in need of  saving.  ::)

Leonie - Thanks for the tips, I'll try that.  I don't usually search on batch numbers, but it seems it might be easier.  I'd realised the batch number didn't relate to just one family, when I searched and found over 500 with the batch number in question - all females.

Lizzie

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 13:35 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the Mormons think women are more worth saving.

Jill - Or they think they are more in need of  saving. 
Or they did it to save time and typing, figuring that we are intelligent little bods and will know that the males are on the microfiche and we'll check it out.  ;D
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just come on line - don't need to answer your question on what batch numbers relate to, Lizzie, it's been done for me but the Hugh Wallis site does have some good info on this.  His home page explains his general approach but the interesting stuff is in the FAQ section - one item specifically related to 'I' batches and to all female listings etc.  The LDS explanation as to why there are more females listed than males makes for fascinating reading!

Christine

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 14:58 BST (UK) »
I've just had a quick read of the FAQ section on the Hugh Wallis site, as Christine suggested.

It seems to indicate that the 'missing' male entries of those batches where only female baptisms are listed, are often on the BVRI.

I bought the BVRI a while ago and, to be honest, have found it a bit of a waste of money. Sure enough, the above theory didn't work for my Heversham, Westmorland lot.

However, if it can 'earn it's keep' by helping anyone else find those missing males, I'm happy to look - just let me know.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

The "missing" males are, of course, on the relevant films.

Some of the 'females only' batches do have source information.  It is then only a case of ordering in (to one's nearest LDS FHC) the relevant film (for a small charge) and going through the film looking for the males.

But some 'females only' batches don't have source information at all - particularly most of the recent batches.   In that case one can only make the requests I have recommended in order to find out the source.

Incidentally, if you are interested in Scotland, the CD of Scottish OPRs (available at LDS FHCs) does, I believe, include the males.

And the males are included in the OPRs of the established Church of Scotland which one can find on the ScotlandsPeople site at:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Puzzles certainly remain ...

JAP

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 15:31 BST (UK) »
Just to say that Transcripts created by the LDS since about 1990 are no longer being added to the IGI, but to the LDS Vital Records Indexes.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk