Author Topic: Lionel P Sayers NY? 1930 Census/marriage  (Read 974 times)

Offline soclaxpm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lionel P Sayers NY? 1930 Census/marriage
« on: Wednesday 30 July 08 02:19 BST (UK) »
Looking for a Lionel P Sayers  seaman  Believe he might be in the USA  around 1930 He was born 1893 In wales but lived his childhood in  England 
Wonder if   some one would be able  look up on the census  for Lionel   I believe he might be in hiding as he deserted the Army in the 1920's   from the Suffolk  Reg

Thanks

Karen
Sayer,Barnes,Markwick,Goldup, Morley,Diwell,Graham

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lionel P Sayers NY? 1830 Census/marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 13:18 BST (UK) »
Do you have a date of birth for him? 

There's a Lionel Sayers born abt. 1905 on a 1920 passenger list to NY with father Henry James Sayers, headed to see sister Mrs. Loivery in Hammond, Indiana.  Any chance that's him?

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lionel P Sayers NY? 1830 Census/marriage
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 13:22 BST (UK) »
There is also a Lionel Sayer, b. 31 Oct 1904, who died Aug 1986 on the Social Security Death Index.  Last Residence was Indianapolis, Marion Co., Indiana.  He applied for his SS card in Illinois.

Someone might be able to look up his obituary in an Indianapolis newspaper, if they have access to Newslink.

I don't have access to Ancestry so can't look up the 1930 census.  You might want to correct your header question as it states 1830.

Genealiza

Offline soclaxpm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lionel P Sayers NY? 1930 Census/marriage
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 19:02 BST (UK) »
Should have given more information sorry :-[
Lionel was born in 1893 in Wales lived in England  deserted the Army in 1920
I believe he was in the USA in the 1930  possible NY   
Thanks for replying

Karen

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 22:00 BST (UK) »
This might just be a coincidence, but I found a Leonard Percy Sayers on a ship manifest as a member of the crew from February, 1930 from Swansea to New York.  He was a sailor and had served at sea for 6 years.  The number on his seaman's identification card was 789471.  He was age 38 and Welsh, five feet eight inches tall, and 153 pounds.  He was not being discharged at the port of arrival.

I'm not finding any matches in the 1930 Census.

Offline soclaxpm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
Okay   this is most likely him  He loved to change his name around as he was on the run from the army and poss 2 wives at this time
Some one once gave me infor on a Lionel Sayer ( sawyer  ) in manahtten in 1930 with wife name rachel or rebecca who was Russian  lionel is listed as British   could ahve used the name Sawyer/Sayer/Sayers  injunction  with  robson

Thanks for your help

Karen

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 23:05 BST (UK) »
1930 Census, Manhattan, District 452
45 West 91st Street

Sawyer (transcribed as Soyer, but looks like Sawyer to me), Lionel, roomer, male, white, age 37, married, able to read & write, born England, parents born England, immigrated 1906, naturalized, mechanist for ice company, not a veteran

Sawyer, Ruth, roomer, female, white, age 26, married, able to read & write, born Russia, parents born Russia, immigrated 1906, naturalized, operator for telephone company

Offline soclaxpm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 July 08 01:59 BST (UK) »
 That helps alot I can  pretty  rule that person out as my  Lionel was in England in 1906  with his parents     At this time he was in Doncaster   
Could you see if he shows on the 1920 census by any chance

I do believe that the previous   note was my Lionel a seaman  I Heard that he ran off  to the sea

Thanks for all your help much appreciated