Author Topic: ayres?parker  (Read 25718 times)

Offline neilpms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ayres?parker
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 March 09 13:48 GMT (UK) »
The Bowers connction is through my Great Aunt Mary Ann Parker who married a Henry Bowers and lived in Bagshot from the early 1900's in Half Moon st

The Parker family is spread out but there are early connections to: Buckland, Farnham, Ash, a lot on Epsom Downs, and Colnbrook Middlesex, aslo Cheam and Sunbury

a few were born in Kent but i put this down to the family hop picking in the area

the main family seem to have been resident on Epsom Downs from the 1850's to the late 1890's

i just met a lady at the Surrey History Centre who was also looking for Bowers

Happy Hunting

Neil

Offline jaytoot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 March 09 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Cathyab - re parker and bowers. The census posted by Neil is the family.

Henry PARKER   Head   M   Male   31   Reading, Berkshire, England   Hawker     
Violetta PARKER   Wife   M   Female   36   Godalming, Surrey, England   Hawker     
Alice PARKER   Daur      Female   15   Horsham, Surrey, England   Hawker     
Henry PARKER   Son      Male   10   Addlestone, Surrey, England   Sch     
Walter PARKER   Son      Male   7   Sutton, Surrey, England   Sch     
Mark PARKER   Son      Male   5   Worcester Park, Surrey, England   Sch     
John PARKER   Son      Male   3   Epsom Maldon, Surrey, England       
Frederick PARKER   Son      Male   1   Epsom Maldon, Surrey, England       

Violetta Parker (Bowers). Henry Parker marries Violetta Bowers in Kingston in 1870 (free bmd). Violetta is the duaghter of Walker Bowers.

1871 Census Walton on Thames Surrey
Walker Bowers - age 51 basket maker - B Haslemere Surrey
Maria (wife) - 48 - B. Surrey Chiddingford
Louisa            18 - B. Twyford hampshire
Selby             14 - Hale Surrey
Mary Ann         8 - Ripley Surrey
Sarah              4 - Alton Hampshire
Robert Bowers (lodger) 23 - Leatherhead Surrey
Margeret Bowers (wife) 21 - Hersham Surrey
Henry Parker (lodger) Licensed Hawker - 23 -  B. Epsom Surrey
Violetta Parker (wife)   26 - B. Godalming Surrey

I believe (from info supplied by someone else) that Violetta Bowers married 2 times.

Free BMD Marriage 1863 Epsom
William Lambert Campbell to Violetta  Bowers James

Free BMD Marriage 1870 Kingston
Violetta Lambert then marries Henry Parker

Finally - in 1901 Walker Bowers is living in Epsom with henry and Violetta Parker.

Hope that all makes sense!!

Regards,

Jim

james - kent and surrey
Ayres - kent surrey
Smiths - kent surrey
Sparrowhawks - kent Surrey

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 March 09 22:52 GMT (UK) »
thanks jim.help appreciated.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline jaytoot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 May 09 13:03 BST (UK) »
I have seen a family tree that suggests Henry Ayres is the partner of Olive James, both born in the early 1900's

My gg grandparents are John and Louisa James. I have just got what i believe is their marraige certificate in Nettleford Kent 1855.

John James age 22 - Hawker.  Father is Joseph James Hawker.
Louisa Aires age 20 - Spinster. Father is Henry Aires - basket maker.
Witnesses Charles Aires and Caroline ???( difficult to read maybe Elsnor?)

IGI give a baptism at east grinstead in 1838 of Louisa Eyres father Henry mother Olive.

In the census for John and Louisa James (1881 and 1891) Louisa gives 2 different birthplaces - one is Churchill Oxfordshire the other is East grinstead.

In the tree i mentioned at the begining it shows Louisa's father Henry born Churchill Oxfordshire.

In the 1881 census they are next to Noah and Sarah with a cousin Amy Maria. Their last name is transcribed as AGOTER?? but i can't say that that is correct.

Also, John and Louisa have a son John James he marries Mignonette Ayres. She is the daughter of Samuel Collins and Amy Ayres. Amy Ayers is the daughter of Aldred Ayres.

Any info on the James or Ayres families mentioned here would be appreciated.

Regards Jim
james - kent and surrey
Ayres - kent surrey
Smiths - kent surrey
Sparrowhawks - kent Surrey

Offline neilpms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 August 09 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Cath

since my original posting re: Parkers, i have managed to put together quite a comprehensive history, although there is no direct link between the Parkers and Ayres and eyres) family it would seem that they travelled around in the same groups from one location to another in the late 1800's, i found Parkers, Careys and Eyres in vans picking fruit near Dartford)
If anybody is interested i have links to other travellers that married Parkers
These are

Hoadley (originally from Leicester but ended up in frimley)
Graingers from Frimley area but originally from Tadley area
Carey (Epsom and Bagshot)
Bowers
Mathews (Epsom Downs)
Clements
Palmer (Walton on the Hill)

I too am looking for a Mark Parker but from an earlier time, we have 4 Mark Parkers in a direct line but none match with Alice Ayres, the Mark i am now looking for married an Elizabeth, they first show up in Parish records as travellers and parents of Mark Parker born in Ash in 1819, they also had a daughter, Dinah also known as Diane who married a William Grainger, Dinah was born around 1809 in Preston Candover but the family seemed to settle in the Frimley area, i found Elizabeth as a widow on the 1851 census in Frimley but her place of birth was unknown
All the family are hawkers or Licensed hawkers and living in Vans or tents

I am also looking for the birth or roots of an Elizabeth Mathews, born in the mid 1850's in the Ascot area, she married Frederick Parker in the early 1870's, they had a son Mark born in "a tent" in 1874 at Hayes Bridge, next found on Epsom Downs then settled in Bagshot in about 1896, i can find no BMD record of her birth or marriage, just stuff from the census

also lookling for a Charlotte Palmer, born Walton on the Hill about 1868, no birth record available, next shows up as Charlotte (Lott) Winsor in Chertsey area, ended up in the Chertsey Union Workhouse in the early 1900's, we know she had 2 children born in Dorking in the mid 1890's, they were Daisy and Mabel but their Father is listed as Thomas Coleman when they both marry, very confusing this one

any help would be much appreciated

Neil

Offline neilpms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres/Parker/Bowers/Grainger/Hoadley
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 August 09 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaytoot and Cath

no connection to your people Jaytoot

I have Henry Bowers marrying my Great Aunt Mary Ann Parker in 1901

Henry was born in Pyrford 1880, May Ann in Leatherhead in 1880

the children that i can trace from these 2 are, Loiusa Bowers, Born 1910 Byfleet, Mary Bowers, Born 1905 Halstead, Joseph Bowers, Born 1904, Woking, Walter Bowers, Born 1902 Woking,

Mary Ann was originally living "in caravans" on Epsom Downs, Father Frederick Parker, Mother Elizabeth Mathews born Ascot area 1856, i am particularly interested in finding our more about hwer, cant find a thing in BMD or on the census before she was married, there were always Parkers and Mathews travelling together so i assume she was part of this family but no trace

Frederick Parker Born 1851 Colnbrook
Mother Sarah Parker, born 1822 Frensham
Father Mark Parker, born 1819 Ash, Surrey,

Marks Mother and Father were:

Mark Parker, place of birth unknown
Elizabeth Parker ditto unknown

Alaso found marriages into the Hoadleyfamily of travellers from Leicester (Samson Hoadley) and into the grainger and Carey families of travellers

I am also looking for trace of one of my Great grandmothers, name Charlotte Palmer, born about 1868, Walton on the Hill, no trace of her birth or any marriages but each time i find her she is with a different man and has changed the surnames of her children, i am reliably informed that they were originally travellers

i am happy to share any of this information, it is becoming quite an epic now!!

happy hunting, hope this is useful

Neil

Offline alfiebeagle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 October 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
I just discovered this website/forum whilst doing a search for 'Grainger' as part of my family history research. From the ayres?parker thread, I would be very interested in your offer for information concerning the following:

since my original posting re: Parkers, i have managed to put together quite a comprehensive history, although there is no direct link between the Parkers and Ayres and eyres) family it would seem that they travelled around in the same groups from one location to another in the late 1800's, i found Parkers, Careys and Eyres in vans picking fruit near Dartford)
If anybody is interested i have links to other travellers that married Parkers
These are

Graingers from Frimley area but originally from Tadley area

May I ask, how do you find information regards the itinerant families? I'm having trouble finding anything at all so any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Offline neilpms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 October 09 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there

i am afraid you really have to be very lucky and hope they were caught in a census, if not parish records and free BMD are the only option

let me know if there is any particular person or family and i will see if i have anything on them

Neil

Offline alfiebeagle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 October 09 07:14 BST (UK) »
Specifically it's the Grainger family from Tadley that I am researching.