Author Topic: Brede parish Register 'look up' completed  (Read 2378 times)

Offline anniejay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brede parish Register 'look up' completed
« on: Friday 01 August 08 18:54 BST (UK) »
Could a kind person find a relative of mine supposed to be born in Brede circa 1814?  Her name was Sophia Philcox and I'd love to know her parent's names and any siblings. In the various census her birthplace is Hastings and Brede.
          Thank you AnnieJay :)
COMPLETED
Jordan :Suffolk   Smith & Dennis :Norfolk
Rose &Earley: Wiltshire & Hampshire
Grist :Dorset     Philcox &Sussex & London
Smith: Devon

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brede parish Register 'look up'
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 08 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat.  Can you give any more information?  If you can quote a census record that will help.  Who did she marry?   Her marriage does not show on the Sussex Marriage Index but there are various other Philcox marriages in that area.
Andrea

Offline anniejay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 August 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea, Bit confused about this site but thanks for your questions. Sophia Philcox married Thomas Smith, unknown date but probably in London. She appears in the 1861 census in Leyton with Thomas and my G Grandmother Louisa aged 8. She's in the 1871 in Tottenham with her Husband and younger daur. Emily then 1881 again Tottenham with Thomas & Emily then lastly 1891 Tottenham. The reason I'm asking is that the only Sophia Philcox I could find from Brede was b. 1839. Thomas Smith from Taunton Somersetshire was born 1814 too. These birth dates fluctuate a bit from census to census. Sophia is on the birth cert. of my G Grandmother Loiusa Smith. it would be lovely if you could find her. Thanks anyway. :)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
They are together with Jane age 1 month in 1851  (HO107 1769 83 12) so I suppose the marriage is before then.  I cannot find them in 1841.  Thomas Smith is too common a name and there are lots of Sophia Smith too - no sign of a Sophia Philcox who matches either.      They must have been quite old at marriage.   I wonder if either had been married before?  If Sophia had then that might explain why you cannot find a marriage to a Philcox as she would have married under her first married name.  Just a thought!
Andrea

Offline anniejay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 August 08 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Andrea. I have Louisa's Mother on her Birth Cert. as Sophia Smith formerly Philcox which means her Maiden Name, so whether she was married to another previously doesn't alter her original name. I also had her in the 1851 census too.I was just hoping that someone could check the baptisms in the Brede parish Register for a Sophia Wilcox born c.1814. This would give her parents and a look either side of the date would give siblings. I've checked out enough of these in my own area but unfortunately I cannot get to the Sussex Record Office.  I appreciate your responses. :)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 August 08 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie Jay

I checked out http://www.familyhistoryonline.net which has extensive Sussex records on it and found the following.  There is a small charge, you can buy multiples of vouchers ie £5 upwards but if you have Sussex family it can be very worthwhile.

sophia Philcox baptised on 26 December 1813 to John Philcox and Ann Philcox.
He was a shoemaker of Brede
Baptised at Brede, John Wilson, curate

HTH

Kerry  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 08 11:57 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage from Sussex Marriage Index

John Philcox and Ann Lavender married on 25 May 1792 at Brede

both of this parish and by banns

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 August 08 12:03 BST (UK) »
Well done Kerry!  
I was thinking that not being able to find the marriage meant you could not confirm her father's name and I was looking for other possible scenarios.  The birth certificate would not give a former married name.
The SMI has a marriage at Brede for John Philcox to Ann Lavender 25 May 1792.    Bit early but possible I suppose if they married young?
Andrea

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 August 08 12:05 BST (UK) »
That what I thought Andrea, bit early but she could be the youngest child of a brood.  I have had occurrences of a woman giving birth of a span of over 20 years, always in Sussex too  ::) ::)

The other option could be that Sophia was not a baby when baptised??

Kerry