Author Topic: Croydon Betchleys  (Read 9872 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Croydon Betchleys
« on: Saturday 02 August 08 08:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry about this, I have been actively researching the Betchleys on both the Sussex & Surrey sides of Rootschat, and although I am most grateful for the feedback, the question that is uppermost in my mind has yet to be answered. 
Did my James transported for 14 years to Taz from East Grinstead in 1819 and reported to have died out there in 1840, somehow return to be in Croydon in time for the birth of his first child in 1837 and still be there to be included on the 1841 - 1881 censuses?

I now realise that a new tack is called for so I am looking for his marriage to Elizabeth Esther something or other, from Chelsham circa 1836, which could have been in Chelsham where she was born.
Alternatively, (and this may prove more difficult) I am also looking for the baptism of an Elizabeth Esther something or other in the Chelsham records around 1809.  Sorry but I have no idea whether Chelsham was a small or large parish in 1809.

Too much to ask I know, but perhaps some kind Rootschatter out there will respond to the challenge and have a go.

Roy G

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Croydon Betchleys
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 August 08 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

This is an interesting one!

I've checked the Surrey Marriage Index and there is no marriage there.  So that can be crossed off the list.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 August 08 09:05 BST (UK) »
I've also tried the Sussex Marriage Index as James came from East Grinstead, but sadly nothing there either  :-\

Have you seen the birth certificate for the first child?  Do that throw up any clues?

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 August 08 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest and work Kerry.

Suddenly another source has come up with some of the above names I wanted and a best after date, making the task I set a little easier

James Betchley married an Elizabeth Esther Hatch.  They apparently signed in their single names when they witnessed the wedding of James brother John Betchley to Susan Sarah Hesketh Wise in Croydon on 26 May 1833.  So that puts their marriage post May 1833 but still leaves me wondering when and where?

Roy G

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 August 08 17:19 BST (UK) »
Jas Betchley
Elizth Esther Hatch 
1836 St. George In The East 

also - maybe a coincidence

Caroline Betchley
Thos Stewart 
1836 St. George In The East

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 August 08 18:06 BST (UK) »
Valder, your are gem
Thanks
Roy G

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 08 18:08 BST (UK) »
From the IGI baptisms

ELIZABETH HESTER HATCH
Birth:  18 FEB 1809    
Christening:  05 MAR 1809   Chelsham, Surrey
Father:  JOHN HATCH
Mother:  MARY  

The James Betchley sentenced in 1819 seems to have been sentenced at Horsham (I can't see any connection in the records that I can see to East Grinstead or that he was necessarily even born in Sussex?). James was convicted 24th March 1819 for 14 years (sailed 11th September 1819) and was a botanic gardener, aged 28 at the time of his arrival in Tasmania (12th January 1820 on the Dromedary at Hobart), so a birth year of circa 1791/1792. By 1833 he was freed 'by servitude'. He married Sarah Walton in Tasmania in 1834 and had a son James in the same year.
His death date in the records is given as 7th June 1840.

James Betchley baptised East Grinstead 30th September 1796 appears to have been a butcher. His parents married in East Grinstead 3rd March 1794.

His marriage in 1836 fits well for the baptism of his first known child

JAMES ALBERT BETCHLEY
Christening:  29 OCT 1837   Saint John The Baptist, Croydon, Surrey
Father:  JAMES BETCHLEY 
Mother:  ELIZABETH ESTHER 

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 August 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda
I feel sure that the court records show the theft of the horse took place in or near East Grinstead, which is actually in West Sussex.  Horsham was the nearest West Sussex jail and courts.  Lewes is closer but in East Sussex.
However I had better make certain.  I'll get back to you.
Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 August 08 18:12 BST (UK) »
Getting back as I said I would.
The court doccuments describe the convicted James Betchley as a labourer late of Hartfield.  Now checking out whether parental homes (Imberholm & Brookwood) on the outskirst of East Grinstead could have been considered as Hartfield.
Roy