Author Topic: McRae in Portsoy  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Kate1710

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McRae in Portsoy
« on: Monday 04 August 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out about Robert McRae, who is the father of my great-grandfather (James WEbster).  James was recorded as illegitimate, and there is no mention of a father on his record of birth. But Robert McRae is the name in the 'Father' column on James' marriage record, and his occupation is given as coal merchant. I know that James was born in 1884 in the parish of Banff, and that his mother was a domestic servant living in Portsoy in the parish of Fordyce. Does anyone know of a McRae in this area at this time??

Thanks, Kate  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: McRae in Portsoy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

It was not unusual for illegitimate children to make up a fathers name on their marriage cert - it made them look "respectable"
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kate1710

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole. That had occured, but I thought it was worth a try - guess we'll never know! Thanks anyway!

Kate :)

Offline Deltafin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 12 11:38 GMT (UK) »
My family are McRaes from Banffshire Gt.Gt.Gt.Grandfather Alexander B1796 Married Christian Gordon at Fordyce 1815[Lived in the Fordyce and Cullen area] had sons Colin,William,John & Robert B1853 & Colin's son also Robert B1866 D1949 in Buckie.Laterly the family all live in Buckie.Nae sure if this is of any help as there were a number of McRae families living in Banffshire all with the same forenames.