Author Topic: Captain Smith and Eliza Forbes  (Read 2334 times)

Offline betwsdave

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain Smith and Eliza Forbes
« on: Thursday 07 August 08 16:39 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on a James Smith who sailed a vessel named 'Eliza Forbes'.
The vessel was built or registered in Portsoy in 1855 and owned, at least initially', by an Alexander Smith.
I'm told the vessel was a brigantine and sailed mainly from Portsoy to and from the Baltic between 1857 and 1870. Latterly I believe there were voyages from Newcastle.

The vessel name is also interesting as Eliza was the name of the wife of Sir John Forbes (1787-1861) so I'm curious about any possible Smith - Forbes connections. I also have another Smith ancestor with Forbes as a middle name.

Any help appreciated.

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Smith and Eliza Forbes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 14:18 BST (UK) »
Just found your message re James Smith, Captain of Eliza Forbes.  I have a Captain James Smith on my tree who I believe was Master of the Eliza Forbes.  He had a son names Forbes Smith who was also a seaman who died in Taganrog, Russia of Cholera.  If you're still interested, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 15:11 BST (UK) »
I note that the poster, "Betwsdave" was last active Monday 11 August 2008  at 20:11hrs. You may have a wee bit of a wait for a response.

Malky

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Malky:  Yes, I did notice the original posting date but thought I'd give it a try anyway.  Not really expecting a response but you never know.  I found it while Googling the Eliza Forbes.