Author Topic: Anyone got any family anecdotes?  (Read 15830 times)

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got any family anecdotes?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 25 August 08 21:17 BST (UK) »
One of my favourites concerns my grandfather.    During WWII he 'did his bit' by fire watching in Folkestone.   It's well known that German bombers often kept back one shell to drop on Folkestone, so there was plenty of damage anyway.

This particular night the bomb didn't go off and Grandfather was sent to keep people away;  later he was told to go somewhere else and when enquiring what to do about the unexploded bomb, the answer was 'just cover it' (don't ask me why I wasn't there!).   Anyway, Grandfather does as he's told and, bearing in mind it's pitch black, uses whatever is available, something which he assumes to be rubble.

Returning next day to see 'his' bomb, he arrives in time to hear someone say 'What [idiot?] covered this incendiary with coal?'   At which point I presume Grandad backed quietly away  8)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 August 08 03:09 BST (UK) »
That reminds me of the time at college (it wasn't me! *whistles nonchalantly*) when we were feeding the animals and someone came in with the food and told me to put some of the stuff in a few cages that they pointed out. So I did. Then at the end of the day, we were gathered in a room and someone came in with a puzzled look on their face and said "Do tarantulas eat lettuce?"

Offline merilyn64todhunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 28 August 08 03:55 BST (UK) »
A whale beached itself near our home in Cottesloe, West Australia. A crowd gathered, one very well dressed lady waded out and commented "I didn't know whales had aerials". Dead silence, she was obviously serious, a gentleman responded "er, it's a male and it's on it's back" !!

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 August 08 14:36 BST (UK) »
That is brilliant! I like that one :D

I hope the whale got away though  :(

Offline cavegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 August 08 18:51 BST (UK) »
A Great Uncle of mine was a miner and unfortuntately lost his leg in a mining accident  - he obviously was unable to work down the mines again after the amputation, but had an artificial leg made of tin fitted. 

He later became the village clogger and set up his own shoe shop! Apparently he could be seen (and heard) riding round the village on his bike with his tin leg merrily clanking on the pedals.  Ace bloke!
Dwyer - Rathangan Ireland
Loughran - Armagh
Gillespie -  Armagh
Rigby - Wigan
Finch - Preston
Crompton - Aspull, Farnworth
Gerrard - Wigan, Bolton, Westhoughton
Grime - Blackburn, Bolton, Hindley Green

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 28 August 08 19:21 BST (UK) »
When my brother was little (1 or 2) he had a bad stomach so mum said to my dad to give him some gripe water

Dad did then my mum realised he actually given him witch hazel! there then followed a mad dash up the hospital where they proceeded to give bro something to make him sick. After sitting there ages bro still wasnt sick so they sent them home

Bro then threw up all in the back of the taxi - mum was not impressed!

Dad also took my mums metaformin tablets for diabetes in mistake for asprin. Docotor advised that we feed him lots of sugar to counter the effects so mum fed him sweet tea and cake all afternoon. Think he put on a few pounds that day!

Make you wonder sometimes how he lived to be 73!

Then theres my sis playing football with bro and dad. Dad shouts 'free kick' to sis so she kicked bro in the shins!  ;D (she could never get the off side rule either!)

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 28 August 08 22:00 BST (UK) »
My family home where I grew up was an old Victorian house, and suffered from various pestilences owing to its age and general delapidation - eg rats, cockroaches, flies etc, all of which my Dad courageously dealt with.

He used to describe how, on one occasion he was setting out cockroach traps down in our cellar.  He had designed a home made trap which involved a small piece of bacon surrounded by quite a deep circle of cockroach killer powder, so that the insect would be tempted to walk through the insecticide to reach the bacon.

He described (I can hear him now!) how he had constructed one of these circles with the bacon bait, and turned his back for a moment to do something else.  When he turned back, the bacon had gone! 

And he said how all the hair on the back of his neck stood up at the thought of the size of cockroach required to steal the bacon in one fell swoop!  :o  :o

In case your mind has also created this monster, you'll be relieved to hear that the thief turned out to be a mouse.   ;D

He caught that by putting a seesaw "walk the plank" construction with a piece of cheese on it over a bucket of water.   ::)

PS that's him in my Avatar
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 30 August 08 08:17 BST (UK) »
I noticed with my children that they went through a certain stage when, no matter what they'd done, it was never their fault, in fact, they always managed (somehow) it make it my fault!   On one occasion this caused my Gran to remark 'You sound just like Donald.'

Donald, it turned out, was my Grandad's younger brother.  When my grandparents married, Gran had a general shop next door to Grandad's butchers and Donald was employed as their delivery boy.   

With the basket on his bike well loaded, Donald prepared to set off one day when Gran warned him it was far too full, thus unstable and he'd fall off.   Of course, at 14 Donald thought he knew better and, after a brief 'it's too full - no it isn't - yes it is - etc.,' argument, Donald wobbled off.  Seconds later from around the corner came the resounding crash as .... Donald fell off! 

Gran rushes to see the damage and, having established Donald hasn't fallen in the stream and drowned, says she told him the basket was too full - to which Donald instantly replies 'Well, as my employer you should have made me take some stuff out'

Now I see where my daughters got it from  ::)

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 August 08 08:39 BST (UK) »
My mother was always very 'proper'. As long as I could remember, she never once mentioned toilet.
She always said " I'm going to see George".
I've no idea where that came from.
It puzzled my children when they were small. They thought there was a man called George hiding in the bathroom!
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->