Author Topic: Anyone got any family anecdotes?  (Read 15829 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got any family anecdotes?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 August 08 16:02 BST (UK) »
I know someone who went to the swimming pool then walked out with someone else's clothes on...

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 August 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
I was ever so jealous when my little sister was born but I really didn't mean to tip the pram upside down with her in it. The kerb was quite a high one and the pram was awfully big for a skinny nine year old to be pushing around.  Honest guv, it were a genuine accident. Tee hee! ;D ;D

( she survived, outwardly unscathed, if a trifle barmy)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 August 08 16:51 BST (UK) »
I was about 11, I think, and Mum took me to see the ballet at the Royal Opera House. I was told to be on my best behaviour, and we spent a lot of time scrubbbing me up and making me smart for the occasion.

We arrived and Mum took her coat off. "Mum - you've still got your pinny on!" I excaimed to amused onlookers. Luckily they did not look down to see her slippers.  ::)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 August 08 16:53 BST (UK) »
I bet you never let her forget that! ;D

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 August 08 17:34 BST (UK) »
He wouldn't dream of it ... his Mum is a lovely lady !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 August 08 17:39 BST (UK) »
Nowadays, I take her to the ROH, and confess that it does sometime slip out.  ;D

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rayfo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 August 08 18:09 BST (UK) »
My sister-in-law amused me with a story about my young nephew coming home from Sunday School and saying that the following week he had to take a cucumber with him. She was puzzled, as it wasn’t Harvest Festival or anything, but figured it must be for a project, so gave him a cucumber when he set off the next Sunday.

When he returned he still had the cucumber with him.
“What’s the matter – didn’t they want it? She asked.
With embarrassed tears in his little eyes he told her,
“No, they said what they actually wanted me to bring was a new-comer”.

;D Poor little fellow - shouldn't laugh.

Please scan all photographs at 300-600 dpi.
Please feel free to colour any restores posted by me. An acknowledgement would be much appreciated.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 August 08 18:22 BST (UK) »
As a very small child, I had to stay in hospital on two separate occasions. The second of these coincided with my fourth birthday and my main present was a brand new shiny tricycle, beautiful red, with a boot and bell. But obviously this couldn't come on to the ward so I had some smaller things to unwrap on the big day.

One of our neighbours, for some reason known only to herself, thought a ball, large, bright and bouncy, would be a good thing for a bed bound small girl and I have to admit that I was very happy to receive it. Not so happy when, in the excitement of other more appropriate gifts - books, crayons etc, the ball fell off my ridiculously high bed and rolled away. The bang when it exploded in the unguarded, open fire at the end of the ward was spectacular. Can you imagine such a thing today!

I was ever so sad.  :'(

Offline luas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 August 08 18:25 BST (UK) »
That one about the Lyon's cutlery reminds me of when I used to go to tea with the family of a boy I befriended.  Their cutlery was very heavy, and had the initials WPRC engraved on it.  Eventually, curiosity made me mention it, and I was told it was short for the family motto - Wisdom, Pride, Rectitude, Courage.  This was very impressive, but it seemed a bit odd as they lived in two rooms at the back of a shop.  I later learned that the boy's father, who was unemployed when I knew them, had previously been steward of a local rugby club.  He was fired on suspicion of theft.