Author Topic: Death Look Up Hutton Roof  (Read 1406 times)

Offline sandral

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Look Up Hutton Roof
« on: Monday 11 August 08 13:50 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Holmes from Hutton Roof married William Eaglesfield in Kendal 1958.  He disappears after 1861 census and on 71 Elizabeth is widowed with son Robert in Hutton Roof.  William's death does not appear on GRO probably because death certificates were not mandatory until after that time.  Elizabeth died in 1911.  Any ideas what churchyard they would have been buried in? Are there any on-line sources for churchyards in Westmorland? Or does anyone have any other ideas??

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Death Look Up Hutton Roof
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 August 08 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The C of E church at Hutton Roof is in the parish of Kirkby Lonsdale. Kendal Records Office has baptismal details from 1813 and marriage details from 1799 but no burial details. This could mean that either the church was not authorised for burials (unlikely), or that the register is still at the church or is missing.

It is also worth checking the parish church at Kirkby Lonsdale, as the details may have been transcribed into their records.

Good Luck

Chris

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 August 08 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you looked for the death under all variant spellings.  Egglesfield etc?    Might he have left a will?
Andrea

Offline sandral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 August 08 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help.   I will try Kendal Record Office.  He should have left a will as he was originally a fundholder and from a family with money, however from the censuses his wife didn't appear to be wealthy.  His marriage was recorded as William Eaglesfield Clifton  on GRO but I think Clifton was the place they lived and it somehow got transposed onto the marriage certificate.

I have checked variant spellings but no luck.  I did check the NBI CD but there was nothing on there.