Author Topic: What was it situated there before ...  (Read 4017 times)

Offline aw2k4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What was it situated there before ...
« on: Wednesday 26 January 05 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Hoping someone may be able to help ...

Does anyone know what the building was that used to be situated where Bracken Drive is now in Rugby?

From what I remember it was quite a large area between Buchanan Road and Hudson Road and was demolished probably round about the late seventies to develop the area where Bracken Drive is now.

Any ideas folks?

Many thanks.

aw2k4

Offline aw2k4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: What was it situated there before ...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 05 23:55 GMT (UK) »
For anyone interested, I had some feedback from a local historian giving the following information ...

The area where Bracken Drive was built had been the site of the Overslade Hostle.

This provided accomodation for single men working in Rugby. I am told that many of the men were Polish, presumably ex-POWs.

The hostel was run by local governement - have not identified who, or any dates for its operation. It was totally separate from the Apprentice hostels run by both AEI & EE.

awk4.

Offline Philpots

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
My mother worked there as a Clerk up until June 1948 when she was forced to leave due to her pregnancy. I was born in Coventry shortly afterwards but have not been able to talk to her. My father is unknown but I believe that he was one of the Polish residents.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
For anyone interested, I had some feedback from a local historian giving the following information ...

The area where Bracken Drive was built had been the site of the Overslade Hostle.

This provided accomodation for single men working in Rugby. I am told that many of the men were Polish, presumably ex-POWs.

The hostel was run by local governement - have not identified who, or any dates for its operation. It was totally separate from the Apprentice hostels run by both AEI & EE.

awk4.

There were no Polish POW's in the UK. The Poles were on our side.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 April 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
Rugby was a big manufacturing town in WW2,  manufacturing a lot of high tech electrical equipment.

Early development work on Jet Engine research took place at the BTH works near to the main railway line and near to Rugby station.       
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline LimoWreck

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
My mother worked there as a Clerk up until June 1948 when she was forced to leave due to her pregnancy. I was born in Coventry shortly afterwards but have not been able to talk to her. My father is unknown but I believe that he was one of the Polish residents.

My Grandad came to Overslade in June 1948, does your mum recall much of that time?