Author Topic: Wanted - My Ancestor was a Murderer!  (Read 7105 times)

Offline Dan Waddell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted - My Ancestor was a Murderer!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 August 08 15:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks kerry, certainly sounds fascinating.

Offline DelilahRed

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 August 08 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan

I have a great great uncle who killed his own brother in a fight (in 1883), but apart from one newspaper report I haven't been able to find any coroner's reports etc and it doesn't seem as he did any time for it.

Any use?

Del

Offline Dan Waddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 August 08 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. Ta for all your replies (I got an email saying the topic was split  ??? where did the other bit go?). Been away for a few days so will get in touch with those who got in touch with me, and posted here, as soon as I can.

cheers

Dan

Offline ozwendy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have an ancestor who was allegedly murdered at age 18 in the North of England. The family story was that he was murdered, although there were no further details. Some time again while looking through the Wiganworld website I was very luckt to come across a transcribed newspaper report of a body found in 1890 which was that of my gg uncle. However, because the body was found quite mutilated near a railway track the police were assuming it was some sort of accident, though they said it was mysterious and were waiting for the coroner. I haven't been able to find anything else such as an inquest or coroner's report, but I can send you a copy of the article if you would like it.
Cheers
Wendy
Faricy -  Lancs.
Faricy, Gardner, Jones, Aldred, Battersby, Calland, Webb, Jones,Evans - Hindley, Lancs
Coleman, Price, Taylor, Ryan, Joyce, Barrett, Astin - Oldham/Failsworth, Lancs
Gardner, Evans, Jones, Williams,Sambrook, Davies,Wardman,Ellis  - Montgomeryshire/Worthern,Salop
Price, Thomas, Jones - Chester/Flint
Jones,Webb,Griffiths,Bagshaw,Bowen,Richards, - Dawley/Wellington,Salop
Faricy - Waterford/Cork - Ireland
Faricy, Robles - Austalia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 04:59 BST (UK) »
Ooh, this sounds interesting Dan - and welcome to rootschat!

There are many people on rootschat who have murderous ancestors or ancestors who were victims of murder. It's just a matter of them finding this thread so they can tell you their stories.

I remember one horrific murder somewhere in Australia - I think the father murdered the whole family. I may be wrong with this bit, but I think the researcher discovered that several of their ancestors died on the same day, so they dug deeper and discovered that they had been murdered.

Sorry to tease you with this, but I can't recall the details ....  :-\ I wonder if anyone else can?

FOUND IT!  ;D
http://www.rootschat.com/links/043z/

Dan I found this by "searching rootschat" for the word 'murder'.
The "search rootschat" button is at the top of the page in the middle. I knew I was looking for an Australian story, so I only ticked the Australian boxes to search. If you leave all the boxes ticked you'll no doubt get loads of hits. Good luck!

If you want to contact a particular person about their story, you can click on their name on the left, then you can send them a personal message.

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan,

I also welcome you to rootschat. My ggg aunt was murdered by her fourth husband. He apparently sexually molested his step grandaughter and my ggg aunt found out so he shot her in the head then set fire to the house and her body was found amoungst the burnt debri. The husband was put in prison awaiting his trial but strangled himself a few days later in his prison cell with his belt I think it was. I have the newspaper reports on the murder but it is in very small print and I also have the coroners reports. This murder took place in Beaconsfield Tasmania Australia in January 1920.

Johngirl ;D
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline Tsu

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ellen Rondeau 1885-1960
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 08:52 BST (UK) »

My ggg aunt was murdered by her fourth husband. He apparently sexually molested his step grandaughter and my ggg aunt found out so he shot her in the head then set fire to the house and her body was found amoungst the burnt debri. The husband was put in prison awaiting his trial but strangled himself a few days later in his prison cell with his belt I think it was.

Nice guy!  :o

I have no murderers that I know of, but one of my ancestors was transported for seven years for stealing the lead off the roof of St. Mary's church in Whitechapel.  The same church where his 12 children had been christened!
East London:
Happe/Hoppe (St. Georges in the East)
Stanley (middle name Thurston)
Rondeau (Spitalfields and Salford)
Jones (Bishopsgate - Thomas, Ostrich Feather Manufacturer)
Wood (London City)
McDermott (Londonderry and Stepney)
Upcraft (Bethnal Green)
Chidgey (Shoredtich)
Grim (Bethnal Green)
Row (Mast makers in Wapping)
Spurden (Stepney and Pancras)
Glibbery (Bishopsgate)

Offline Siouxzie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • William Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan
Not mine, unfortunately -  but my husbands ancestor was a murderess.

Margaret Percival married 4 times; becoming Margaret Carter and mother to Mary Elizabeth Carter my husbands  great grandmother on her second marriage.  Her 4th husband was James Deakin whom she married in 1890.   Margaret Deakin was convicted of murdering her lodger Elizabeth (Betty) Heald, on January 26th 1894, who she believed to be having an affair with her husband James and ended up in Knutsford Gaol after having her death sentence commuted to penal servitude because of her age, she was 64.  The Northwich Chronicle of the time has various articles regarding this.

The manner of Betty Healds death was by a knife wound and Margaret was arrested in Deansgate Manchester.

I was contacted by a descendant of James Deakin, who sent me transcripts of  articles written at the time - it came as a bolt from the blue, because non of my husbands family knew anything about it and as his own grandfather (Margaret's grandson) had been a policeman I am not surprised it was not spoken off.

Regards
Siouxzie
Greenwich, London-BEARMAN/JOHNSON/GREENE Barking Essex-BEARMAN
Manchester- NEWALL/Newell or variants, LOLLEY/Lolly,WALL
Shropshire- WALL
Cheshire- MADDOCK/CARTER/PERCIVAL
Windsor, Berkshire - MILES
Buckinghamshire - MILES
Monmouthshire - JAMES & MORRIS
Herefordshire- FLEET
Yorkshire- SHIPLEY & GRAY
Sussex- EDWARDS & KNIGHT
Wiltshire/Hampshire-WATERS
Wolverhampton area Staffordshire- ASTON
Staffordshire- LOLLEY

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline buckaroo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

This is part reply... part query,

I have a 3x or is it 4x Gr.grandmother who seems to have been murdered, from her death certificate I have,

"08 October 1850 at St.Martin, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire death of Elizabeth Barnard, female 47 years, widow of Michael Barnard, Parish Clerk.   Died from the effect of violent injuries inflicted upon her by some person or persons unknown.  Reported by NM Cozens, Coroner, Dew Street, Haverforwest."

How would I go about finding more info?

Buckaroo
Abraham           Field
Barnett             Jeavons
Price                 Turnbull
Slaymaker        Uttley