Author Topic: Medal Card Help ref Cause of Discharge  (Read 9607 times)

Offline DMCD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Medal Card Help ref Cause of Discharge
« on: Thursday 14 August 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
Could anyone shed any light on the cause of discharge on this medal card please?

S. A.O. 265/m   para 2d

Also the NA's website states that this type of card is usualy only used for personel issued with the SWB, could it be something to do with that i.e. being wounded.

Cant see any ref to the date of issue of a SWB though!

Any help is appreciated

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Medal Card Help ref Cause of Discharge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 August 08 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is actually AO 265/17, and means "Army Order 265 of 1917". This deals with the award of the Silver War Badge for being discharged due to illness or injury while serving at home or abroad. Here is all the reasons under Paragraph 2:

"2. Under the amended conditions the badge will, subject in every case to the approval of the Army Council, be issued only to the individuals specified below, who have served with the military forces subsequent to the 4th August, 1914:
(a) Those who, having served as officers and being still of military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions:
(i) After service overseas in the armed Forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct,
(ii) After service at Home, and have been medically examined and finally discharged from liability to further military service under sub-section (5) of Section 1 of the Military Service (Review of Exception) Act, 1917, as permanently and totally disabled, otherwise than from misconduct.
(b.) Those who, having served as soldiers and being still of military age, have been discharged under the conditions set forth at (i) and (ii) in (a).
(c.) Those who, having served as officers and being now over military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions.
(d) Those who, have served as soldiers and being now over military age, have been discharged otherwise than for misconduct.
(e) Civilians who have served with the Royal Army Medical Corps under a fixed agreement for a period of service, or who have been employed with the army overseas (provided such employment received official sanction), who have resigned their military employment on account of wounds or sickness, and who, if of military age, have received a final discharge under sub-section (5) of section 1 of the said Act.
(f) Nurses and members of Voluntary Aid Detachments who have been discharged on account of old age, wounds, or sickness, such as would render them permanently unfit for further service."

Each SWB was stamped with an unique number. The List referred to will tell you that number. I don’t think it will tell you anything else, as you have his date of enlistment and discharge.

This page has a picture of the SWB - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

Assuming he served overseas there will be at least one more MIC covering his medal entitlement.

Ken

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 August 08 23:46 BST (UK) »
I believe the "S" in front of A.O. 265/17 in this case stands for sickness.
I've seen it abbreviated to S on the SWB lists
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline DMCD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 August 08 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much to both of you who replied it really is appreciated.

This is my Dads uncle (I believe).  Looking at this MIC he transfered into the RFC in 1917 and as he enlisted in 1914 I can only presume he was with another unit or corps prior to this but can't find any record of this & as his Regt Number would probobly be different it will be a bit difficult to find him without any further info....

Will keep trying tho.

Thanks again.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 August 08 15:13 BST (UK) »
Ancestry may have more MICs for men named Alexander McDougal to publish, so you should keep looking on their site. The same goes for surviving service records for men starting M. So you may find something in the future.

Ken

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 August 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
there will be another medal card for him  ;), that one is for the SWB

Offline DMCD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 August 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
there will be another medal card for him  ;), that one is for the SWB

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I have looked for a MIC for his regt No for the RFC as shown on the above card but can't find one.  It says he Transfered into the RFC in 1917 and there is no mention of which Regt / Unit or Corps he was with prior to this & I have no idea what he was doing prior to his transfer to the RFC & as units issued their own Regt No's I'm a bit stumped.

I have been going through the MIC's on Ancestry 1 by 1 for Alexander McDougall's but not come accross anything that rings a bell at the moment.

The Hunt goes on..... ;D

Thanks again Dave