Author Topic: Is it a map...? Is it a game....? Any ideas appreciated!  (Read 10544 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a map...? Is it a game....? Any ideas appreciated!
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 24 August 08 02:18 BST (UK) »
Decided to do a rough drawing of the field with the crescent shape bushes.
Not to scale  ;D
and for the benefit of those finding this pic in 100 years - I drew it in pen and finished in photoshop  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Key:
A - low shrubs
B - large tree
C- large tree
D - group of low plantings
E - group of low plantings

As mentioned earlier, rows of trees alongside road, most likely the beginnings of a hedge.

There are similarities to plan 2 but I don't think so.
Hope the image isn't too small.

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 24 August 08 03:40 BST (UK) »
Meg

Part of the garden is if I remember correctly..... it was a few many years ago that I last visited  :P  had a lot of "controlled" areas.....the second time I visited my MIL and myself decide to explore the gardens...just beautiful. It may have changed which would be a pity.

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 24 August 08 08:14 BST (UK) »
Decided to do a rough drawing of the field with the crescent shape bushes.

Pretty close - here's an aerial photo http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.336253&lon=-2.87408&z=19.3&r=243&src=msl
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Jinxy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 24 August 08 08:51 BST (UK) »
did you notice that the crescent shaped shrub has a cross on if veiwed fron the side angle!?  (or is this my imagination?)
Brown - Warner - Pye - Nash - Eustace - Robinson - McMahon - Lightfoot - Berry - Fairless - Dziunka

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 24 August 08 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Geoff  ;)

Actually had a look at that site, flashearth, and if you have the compass with north facing upwards, to the east of the main building is a structure that looks like an upside down 'E'.
Inside this structure appears to be courtyards with various bits and pieces, structures or whatever.

Couldn't make it out clear enough but could have some resemblence to our map.  Will have to look at it better.

Jinzy, Not sure on the cross in the crescent shaped shrubs though. :-\

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 24 August 08 20:28 BST (UK) »
I got my Liverpool Teaching pack for Speke Hall, there isn't anything like those drawings but the documents which are dated fro 1500 t0 1700 do include a drawing of the gardens

there is a green with a pond  and a larger pond similar to one o the shapes.  but more interesting is the crescent shaped  wall or barrier of some description around the Hall, with a garden and orchard adjacent to it.

will try and scan it  This pack was bought when it cost 15 shillings or 75  pence.  so must have been prior to 1974.

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 24 August 08 22:46 BST (UK) »
I for one would love to see the drawings of the gardens, thanks Dancing Master  :)

margaret

Offline MissM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Monday 25 August 08 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Bad news I'm afraid.  :( :( :(

The National Trust have asked me to withdraw the photos because I posted the photos on the web without official permission and although we were doing it with only a good intention, they are discussing whether to let us continue.  Apparently there are procedures that should have been followed to get approval first to put them on the internet.

I am so disappointed that something that started as a good intention has to end but for now I have to ask that we end the topic and if possible, make the photos unavailable.  Can anyone help me with that please? 

This has been a good distraction in a very sad and troubled week for me and your efforts to solve the mystery were very interesting and much appreciated.

I am still hoping the NT will allow us to continue the task and reopen the thread at some point in the future.

My apologies to all of you.  If you want to pm me at any time with a solution that would be great (!) and I can let everyone else know who contributed to the thread.

So sorry,
Lynne
MONEYPENNY (Liverpool/N Ireland/Scotland)
CRETNEY (Isle of Man)
KIDD (N Ireland)
DAVIES ( Denbighshire, N Wales)
ROBERTS (Liverpool)
WHITE (Liverpool)
Local History website - www.spekeliverpool.co.uk