Author Topic: Greenwich parish records for deaths of CLOW - look up request  (Read 2209 times)

Offline coffeyc1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenwich parish records for deaths of CLOW - look up request
« on: Saturday 23 August 08 11:19 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help me. I am trying to find the deaths of the following people and wondered if anyone has access to the Greenwich Parish Registers. I have gone through pages of people on the BMD records but have been unable to find either of them. They were living in Greenwich at the time they became deceased and were still alive in the 1930's but had passed on by 1955 (sorry no more information on the dates etc). I was wondering if perhaps some of the Greenwich area records were damaged during WWII and this is why there is no mention of them.

The people are:

John James Clow b: 04/07/1862 at Clerkenwell, Middlesex
and his wife:
Jane Clow b: 1856 Islington

Many thanks
Christine

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: GREENWICH PARISH RECORDS FOR DEATHS OF CLOW - LOOK UP REQUEST
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 08 13:10 BST (UK) »
Death records for those periods are intact and are on the full GRO index available at any main library or online at www.Ancestry.co.uk or www.findmypast.com - both of which are paysites

Do you have proof positive that they were both still alive in the 1930's by which time Jane would have been in her 80's and John in his late 70's

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline coffeyc1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 August 08 16:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for responding so quickly Carole

I am a member of these sites you have suggested and also Genes Reunited but cannot find any record. Their grand-daughter remembers them being still alive in the 1930's - so they were a good age!

It has helped me though you advising that none of the records were destroyed at least I know they will be there - somewhere!!  I think that their surname must have been recorded incorrectly, which is why I asked if a parish look up would help.

Once again, thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards
Christine

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

There won't be any parish records for that period but what you could do is post a request for a National Burial Index lookup just in case they are recorded in it.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich parish records for deaths of CLOW - look up request
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 August 08 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

If they were living in Greenwich at the time of their respective deaths, then they are quite likely to have been buried in one of the local Borough Council cemeteries see:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/045m/

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk