Author Topic: GERMANY: DEGENHARDT from Clausthal, Hanover  (Read 33771 times)

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: DEGENHARDT from Clausthal, Hanover
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 08 August 10 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help.  It is really appreciated.  xx
Degenhardt Jarrett Hoare Kemp Coleman West

Offline BRICKS

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 24 February 11 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I remember "Deggy" as a young scared boy as he sat in a "Morris Chair" wanting me to sit on his knee
Amy was my Grandmother and Macintosh Fisher Ellery my father. Dad disposed of all records into the septic tank at 284 Anzac Highway, Plympton after his mother died. My sisters, now in their 80's will know more, as one has made a lifetime project of our family history, as will my cousin Keith, the only one still remaining from George and Vonnes marital situation, who I am told would like to see myself and other members of our family.
My mother Elenor (Nellie) said our name should not be Ellery but Morphett and his mother was born/from?
 Wellington SA., Dad was, as we know now, always embarrassed about being "born out of wedlock", I believe it would have been very difficult in those days. I seem to recollect a photo of Deggy and Amy standing outside a house, I think at ??? (near a racecourse) Best Wishes

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 25 February 11 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bricks, it has been such a long time since I looked at this site that I had almost forgotten about it.  In reading your notes, is "Deggy" the William Charles Degenhardt that married Amy Fisher Morphett? If so, when and did they have any children together?  I would so love to have a copy of a photo of William, as he is my great grandfather, and by all accounts, quite a lad!  It would be interesting to swap any stories you have about this man!   Please contact me again.  Thanks

Offline bildoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all.

I have just come across this site.

I too am a Degenhardt descended from Gustav Friedrich Carl Degenhardt.

My father was the only son of Gustav Friedrich's eldest son, Herbert Gustav Carl and Grace Mabel nee Bluntish

My family records show that 6 of Carl Heinrich Christian and Johanna Dorothea Friedrike's (nee Barth) children came to Australia.

Sons Johann Carl August, Heinrich Friedrich Conrad Gottleib, Johann Carl Ludwig and Gustav Julius Wilhelm (son no.2 died shortly after birth) came on the 'Patel and the the remaining 2 children, a son Wilhelm Heinrich and daughter Auguste Louise accompanied their parents on the George Washington.

Johann Carl is buried at Norwood; Heinrich, Johann and Gustav are buried at Murtoa and Wilhelm is buried at Burra. I have no info on Auguste otherr than her date of birth.

I believe the family bible is still in existence

Johann's wife was Caroline also known as Lina.

To "Pinker" my records show that Augusta Lena?, born 28/5/1857 and married James Tucker.

Johann and Caroline had 7 childrenand Augusta Lena was number 4.

Regards,

Bildoz

Offline bildoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry,

Correction on my post. Carl Heinrich Christian married Johanna Dorothea Friederike nee Lader/Later

Bildoz :)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 24 July 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
I have been following with interest this topic as I have been trying to pinpoint Louis Degenhardt...

Just to add a little extra...

His daughter Minna Caroline (also known as Mary) was born 4 September 1849 in the district of the Murray so probably Burra/Reduth/Kooringa   Book 6 page 67   her mother is recorded as Frederika Caroline "Hamster"  the other children all have their mothers name Lina using variations of "Cotte"  one even spelt "Chottee"....

The page in Bisa that I found has DEGENHART J. Carl  Ludwig b: fr Clausthal, Harz, Germany arr: 1846 Patel  occ: Miner, Joiner  res: Redruth, Kooringa

Minna married Henry "Harry" Foord  and their daughter Margaret Ellen Foord married Felix Percival Carter which is my link....

with extra extra help I have a copy of the obituary from the Murray Pioneer dated Friday April 5th 1907....

"Mrs. Elizabeth Stoeckel", wife of Mr. Luidwig Theodor Stoeckel, Queens Reach, Murtho who died Tuesday April 2 at the age of 80....... Mrs Stoeckel was born in Brunswick, Germany arrived in Sth Aust with her married sister from Germany in 1848....  Mr Stoeckel was on the same boat....  The girls came from Brunswick (German Braunschweig) which looks like it is maybe 50 kms from Clausthal.  the Obit goes on to say Elizabeth and Albert were married at Saint James, Blakiston

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/109519873

The unregistered marriage shows Albert Stoeckel, Bachelor, aged 22 was married to B (Bette) Kotte, Spinster, aged 20 years on 11 June 1849 at Saint James Church of England at Blakiston.   

I don't think this changes much just adds to the story!

Cheran :)

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheron
Just an update for you.  Johann Carl Ludwig "Louis" Degenhardt travelled from Germany aboard The George Washington, which sailed in 1848 and arrived in South Australia in 1849. There was a Lina Hamster and her mother who travelled with the Degenhardt family, as well as a Marie Sophia Wilhelmine Schwanecke who also travelled with the Degenhardt family. Also aboard that boat was Albert Stockel aged 19.
I am convinced that Lina Hamster and Lina Cotte are one and the same, but so far, have been unable to find any reason for there to have been such confusion with the names.  Also I have been unable to locate any other Cotte/Kotte on that list.
On "Louis" death cert, it states that he is from Clausthal and that he married Carolina Codde (amended to Cotte) at the age of 26 in Braunschweig.  His children are listed as: Minna, Anna, Robert, Louis and Betty.
Can you tell me what Bisa is?
There was a Johann Carl Ludwig Degenhardt who arrived in South Australia aboard the Patel in 1846 and I am wondering if he came out earlier with his brothers to check things out and then went back for the rest of the family.
I am hoping to get to the German Immigration Museum in Bremerhaven next year to try to get some information on Lina.
Coincidentally, one of the ladies I exercise with comes form Braunschweig and her husband is an avid genealogist so I hope that he may be able to shed some light on the name situation.
Hope that this has proved interesting for you.

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for coming back.....

The BISA index is Biographical Index of South Australia and was compiled in 1987 lots of libraries have copies the information was given by descendants as i understand it so lots different bits of information. 

Did you mean Lina Hamster and her sister (not mother) on your post....

I wonder if anyone will work how hamster becomes Cotte or Kotte... I have looked at the ships list re "Louis" and the family on the George Washington  but still can't ignore the possibility that he may  have come out on the "Patel" first and then gone back to bring out a wife and his family....

Hope you are able to get  a little more information when you go to Germany.  There is a group that has formed through SA Genealogy for German info. 

I did look how far apart they would  have been and seems plausible they could have married  it looks like a lot of people  on the ship married.

Thanks  again

Cheran ☆☆

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheran
I am sure that the Ships List says that it was Lina and her mother that came out on the George Washington.
Like you, I can understand that Cotte could be written as Kotte/Codde, but Hamster is a loooong stretch. More so, when Louis death cert says that he married in Germany.
I haven't come across Bisa before, is it only South Australian Libraries, or where did you find it?
I would also be grateful for a contact for the German SA Genie group if you have one.
Between missing gg grandmothers, missing g great grandfathers through this line and a completely free spirit of a grandfather on my husband's side I am forever grateful if I manage to get a snippet of info once in a blue moon.
Regards
Julie