Author Topic: McWalter  (Read 2098 times)

Offline grada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McWalter
« on: Wednesday 27 August 08 12:58 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on birth of Elizabeth McWalter, she married John Feathers in Lochee Dundee in 1868, and died in Ferry Port On Craig Fife, in 1913 aged 85.  I have been unable to find any details of her birth, according to marriage certificate her father was Thomas Mcwalter, can't make out mothers name.  Anyone help?

Grada

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McWalter
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 17:35 BST (UK) »
As IGI had the marriage as Feathers with Elizabeth Walter and I had SP credits (and curiosity) to spare I checked  - her parents are McWalter - her mother's maiden name looks like Elspet Farquharson... but I can't find Elizabeth's birth.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Grada

Have you tried finding her in the census records? It might give her place of birth, or possibly other members of her family.

Freecen only has 55 McWalters in the entire 1841 census, including an Elizabeth aged 14, which fits pretty well with the age on her death certificate. The family is in the High Street, Paisley - indeed a lot of the McWalters seem to be from Renfrewshire. There is no father Thomas ( James instead), but the mother is also Elizabeth.
Maybe if you can follow through the census records you can confirm or discount this Elizabeth as yours.

There is also an Elisa McWalter, from Ireland aged 15, but no names for the parents so harder to tell.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline grada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 08 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Breaky & KirstyG,

Thanks for your help.
 I have been searching for details on Elizabeth McWalter for some time now.  I will try checking census details as suggested, also thanks for help with deciphering her mothers name, it is appreciated.

Regards Grada