Author Topic: Toronto marriage Wilson/Johnstone  (Read 6127 times)

Offline tekno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto marriage Wilson/Johnstone
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 13 December 08 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, i am trying to talk to Matildakin, she posted some info about my relatives and wondered if she had any more. All new to this and not sure if i am doing it right.
If she happens to come on would you be kind enough to ask her to send me a message, that would be great.
Oh and if anyone else has any info on Tillcocks that would be wonderful.
Thank you John

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 13 December 08 08:29 GMT (UK) »
You can send her a PM (personal message). If you go to one of her posts, click on the little green scroll under her user name on left side of post, write your message in the box that appears (add subject heading if you wish) and click 'send'. No one but the two of you will see the pm so you can send your email address, details of recent relatives, etc. safely.
There's someone on Rotschat looking for Tilcocks (think the spelling only has on l in it) also. If you go down to the bottom of the page and click link to surname interests table (SIT) you can search for the name and find out who it is.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jeanieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello:  I'm from Canada, Toronto and have several lines of Wilson's in my family what I found interesting is that you mention a David White Wilson my GGGG-Grandfather George White married a Margaret Wilson and I found that often the surname of the mother is used as a middle name for the children so when I seen that name I wondered.  My cousin sent me this post asking if I see a connection to my Wilson's I don't as of yet since I don't recall a Hugh Wilson.

George and Margaret's daughter Annie White my GGG-Grandmother married a Samuel Wilson so there is another line of Wilson which I'm starting to think might be connected to each other.

I don't see a connection to your Wilson but I do live in Toronto and work within five minutes of the Reference Library and always go there to check out the directories and newspapers and can look for you if you like.  Also with my Toronto Public Library card I can search for free the Toronto Star and Toronto Globe archives for free. 

If you see a connection I would be happy to share any info with you or would be happen to search if you need assistance I know how hard these Wilson's can be to track down. 

Donna

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Donna, thank you so much for the offer of look ups in Canada. I am looking for information regarding Mary Anna Wilson who married James Clare Johnstone of Lucknow Ontario. I would really like to trace any descendants. Any help is appreciated.  I dont know why Uncle Danny was called Daniel White Wilson, he was the only one in the family who had this middle name. I cannot see a connection with your Wilsons, but am happy to investigate further. You never know.......
Regards....
Coleraine and Portrush - Wilson, McNeill, Stewart

Offline jeanieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 06 March 09 01:51 GMT (UK) »
I found a James C. Johnstone who died the 3rd of Feb 1924 he was 87 years old so he would have been born around 1837 he was born in Scotland his birth date is show as Oct 9 .  His parents are shown as George Johnstone and Jane Porteaus (mother’s surname is not clear I really can’t make it out).  Both parents were born in Scotland. 

When he died he lived on Augustus Street, no sure where that is I will have to check for you he worked as a Contractor, Building and Carpenter.  He is Widow and his daughter Eva Johnstone was the informant she lived in Cornwall, Ontario so I’m guessing that is where Augustus Street is.  He has been in Canada 70 years at the time of his Death so that would mean he came here about 1854 give or take.  He died from old age and place of burial was Cornwall, Ontario so I would guess he is buried in a Cemetery there.

Does this sound like it could be him you didn’t show any approximate years of birth for them so I’m guessing this might be him.  I’ve save the death certificate for you I can send it by e-mail if you like.  I might be able to find more so I can send all that I find together.

Now we know he has at least one daughter Eva since she was shown on his death certificate.

Donna

Offline jeanieb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 06 March 09 02:01 GMT (UK) »
I also found a 1901 Canadian census showing a James Johnstone, wife Mary, daughter Eva and son Frederick. 

Offline Tillymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 07 March 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jeanieb, thank you so much for the information. I am afraid I really don't know very much about the Johnstone family. I only know that name through the newspaper clipping shown at the beginning of this thread. My side of the family are the Wilsons. Your last post sounds interesting though. I'd be very grateful if you could follow this lead if its not too much trouble. The only help I can give is that the Mary I am looking for was the daughter of Hugh Wilson and Kathleen Troy. They were married in 1912 Ontario.
If you can help with any other info that would be great. Thanks very much.
Coleraine and Portrush - Wilson, McNeill, Stewart