Author Topic: Woodside Nursing Home, Epsom Road, Sutton, Surrey  (Read 16501 times)

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woodside Nursing Home, Epsom Road, Sutton, Surrey
« on: Thursday 28 August 08 21:34 BST (UK) »

I am trying to locate where this home was actually situated as a relative was born here prior to the 2nd World War.

It is very doubtful if it still exists and I am hoping that someone with local knowledge might be able to assist.

Thanking everyone in advance.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Woodside Nursing Home, Epsom Road, Sutton, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 August 08 09:50 BST (UK) »
I know the area reasonably well, and was stumped, because I don't know of a Epsom Road in Sutton.

I've had a look through my Surrey A-Z, which confirms that there are several Epsom Roads, but none in Sutton.

There is a Woodside Road in Sutton, which I recall is now lined with 1930's houses (I lived nearby 40 years ago).

If you can elaborate, I'd be happy to try to help.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 August 08 16:19 BST (UK) »

Meles,

Thank you for your reply.

From very, very distant memory I was told that the Epsom Road in question forms part of the A24 between Stonecot Hill and London Road, Morden.  Part of this road on the south-east side appears to fall within the LB of Sutton.  The other similarly named roads would not appear to fit the bill.

Any help greatly received.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 August 08 16:30 BST (UK) »
That stretch of road has a number of names. It is called "Epsom Road" in two areas - just south of Morden, by Morden Park, and south of Ewell.

The first bit I know well, and do not know of any nursing home that had been there at any time - well, in the past 50 years, anyway!

I don't know the more southerly bit. It's been redeveloped a lot in the past 10 years.

There is St Anthony's hopsital on one part of the road called London Road. I don't know if that had a previous life as a nursing home.

http://www.stanthonys.org.uk/

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 August 08 16:49 BST (UK) »
Are you sure it's Woodside? I've found a Woodstock Ave one street away and parallel to Epsom Road. It even falls into Sutton.

If you think that's right, I'll pop down and have a look to see what's there, when I have a spare half hour.

meles

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 August 08 19:10 BST (UK) »

Meles,

Thanks for your latest replies.  Don't get me wrong I am still as confused as when I started this!

The birth certificate quite clearly states "Woodside Nursing Home, Epsom Road, Sutton, Sutton & Cheam U.D".  Looking at a large scale map, albeit a recent one, shown in this small area are Woodstock Avenue, behind but just parallel to Epsom Road and slightly further away Woodstock Rise.  Also there was a pub called the "Woodstock" around here as well.  Could someone have got the names mixed up??  I very much doubt it ; as to register the birth some form of documentation would be required and I can't imagine they could have got it wrong.

Just wondering whether it is possible to access any local telephone or trades directories for 1937?

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 August 08 19:26 BST (UK) »

Try the library at Sutton

local.studies(at)sutton.gov.uk

They are usually very helpful.

Geoff
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 August 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Wyndham - it was a stab in the dark!

Geoff- I might be able to get to Sutton library in due course. I suspect it's a bit far away for wyndham!  ;)

meles

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 August 08 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Wyndham,

I found another reference to a birth certificate with exactly the same address:

"............23 June 1945, Woodside Nursing Home, Epsom Road, Sutton. Sutton and Cheam UD"

I wonder if this was the fore-runner:

http://www.francisfrith.com/search/england/surrey/sutton/photos/sutton_41715.htm

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk