Author Topic: "pressed to a Man of War"  (Read 1785 times)

Offline tom505

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"pressed to a Man of War"
« on: Friday 29 August 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Can any one advise me please.

At the baptism of his daughter in 1778, the entry states " held up by Tho. Johnson the father being press'd to a Man of War." Thomas Johnson being the uncle of the child. The baptism concerned took place in Berwickshire, the next birth to the couple was recorded as having been in Greenock some 5 years later, although recorded in the same Berwickshire parish.

I would be interested to discover the name of the ship concerned and if possible any history connected to it and her crew.

I assume that if any information exists it would be found at the National Archives. But as I only have the name of a pressed crewman and an approximate date wonder if it is likely that I would make much progress in my quest.

Thank you to anyone who can advise me further.

Tom
Henderson, Stoddart, Baillie, Bathgate, Denholm, Hardie, Whitecross, Whitson, Young, Morrison, Tosh, Sneddon, Crookston, Edington, Anderson

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
Re: "pressed to a Man of War"
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 08 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

I don't know if you've seen the following websites. It may give you some idea of where to look. The first is The National Maritime Museum at Greenwich.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.630

Or there is The National Archives of Scotland

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/exchequer.asp

Good Luck
Wendy47
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 August 08 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

You can also search here - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp - entering ADM in the series box. I cannot see the name of the sailor? You can enter just his surname, but of course you will get more hits.

Ken

Offline tom505

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 August 08 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks  Wendy 47 and km1917 for your replies and suggestions.

Tom
Henderson, Stoddart, Baillie, Bathgate, Denholm, Hardie, Whitecross, Whitson, Young, Morrison, Tosh, Sneddon, Crookston, Edington, Anderson