Author Topic: Robert and Ruth Nicholson Kilbride  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Sandra Skinner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert and Ruth Nicholson Kilbride
« on: Monday 01 September 08 06:14 BST (UK) »
Looking for any more information I can get about Robert Nicholson who died 30/1/1863 at the age of 85 years in Kilbride parish and his wife (I think) Ruth Nicholson who died 1/4/1868 at the age of 86years in Conboy. Perhaps a marriage or names of children.
Very greatful for any information or ideas as to where I can find this information. Rather difficult living so far away in OZ.
 :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Ruth Nicholson Kilbride
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 08 10:35 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages in Ireland began 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages) so there will be no marriage certificate or death certificate for Robert Nicholson but Ruth's death should have been registered.
However, there is very little detail on Irish death certificate: name, date and place (townland) of death, age (often incorrect especially in 1800s as informant or even deceased might not know deceased's age), cause of death, name and address of informant (who may or may not have been a child- any person present at death could register the death), date of registration and name of registrar (who may have been the local doctor).
To find marriage, baptisms of children, etc. you need to search for church records (of they exist). Try www.familysearch.org catalogue to see if they've microfilmed any church records for that period (under place search in library catalogue). If so, you can order the microfilm from your local LDS library for a small fee to be viewed there.
Griffith's Valuation took place in mid 1800s. Here's a link so you can search by name or place:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sandra Skinner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Ruth Nicholson Kilbride
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help. Will certainly follow up your suggestions.
Have an LDS Centre fairly close to where I live.
The website you directed me to is very interesting. Have not been there before.
Sandra :)