Author Topic: BRACKSTONE - Whitchurch Baptist  (Read 4125 times)

Offline RanR

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BRACKSTONE - Whitchurch Baptist
« on: Tuesday 02 September 08 08:57 BST (UK) »
3x g grandmother Ann Brackstone married Rev James Millard from Hartley Row Baptist (born Reading 1780 - parentage as yet unknown: Help!), in Whitchurch, Hants 1810.

Ann's sister was Rebecca Brackstone who married James Baker of Hungerford 1826 in Lymington where she had moved with her sister Ann and brother-in-law James millard in 1818.

James MIllard was minister @ Lymington Baptist for 35 years from 1818.

Ann & Rebecca were the daughters of Mary (possibly nee Painter) and John Brackstone who both died in Whitchurch between 1814 & 1817.

I have Whitchurch Independent Chapel's minute books on fiche from Hants Record office and have gleaned John Brackstone & brother Thomas (both sons of Nicholas Brackstone) making testimony & accepted into church membership c. 1752.  Thomas remained in church as deacon until his death in Dec 1794 when he was 79.  Thomas was married to a Sarah.

Nicholas (father of Thomas & John) was appointed as pastor of the Independent chapel in 1750/1 but died soon afterwards.

But .. I think that John may have left the Independent chapel as his marriage in 1778 to Mary Painter and his death & burial are not in the Independent church minutes books at all.  Also the minutes books say that in the later part of the 1700s quite a few members moved to the Baptist church in Whitchurch.

Doe anyone have any records of Whitchurch Baptist church members or any baptism (usually adult), birth, marriage & death records for this church or have access to them eg at Hants Record Office?  Anything to do with any Brackstones (or other variants including Braxton and even Breakstone!) would be useful thank you.

John Brackstone's son-in-law James Millard came to work at the Whitchurch Baptist church from about 1810 till they moved to Lymington in 1818 so he may well be mentioned as pastor or assistant pastor.

Thank you very much indeed.  Any help very gratefully appreciated!
Berks: MILLARD
Cornwall (west): HOSKEN, WOOLCOCK, DONNITHORNE, TREWEEK, TRESEDDER, MITCHELL, NANCARROW, REYNOLDS
Cambs/Hunts: LANGFORD, WRIGHT
Derbys: MOTTRAM
Hants/Surrey (London): BRACKSTONE, SCOREY, DENSLOW, POULTER, WYLD, KINCHIN, RANGER, LEWIS, DAVIES
Herts: JUDD, UNCLE, RUMBALL
Nth Yorks: MOON
Suffolk/Essex/Cambs: WINNY, SARGENT, DICKERSON, RUSH, WATTS, PICKESS, MASON, SCOTCHER, ADAMS, FERNSWORTH
Shropshire: GOUGH, BYWATER, POULTER
Warks/Worcs: WHITE, SALMON, WOODWARD, WIMBLETT

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRACKSTONE - WHITCHURCH BAPTIST
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 09:46 BST (UK) »
You could email the church direct and ask where records are. They may hold them themselves.
http://www.whitchurchbaptist.org.uk/

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRACKSTONE - Whitchurch Baptist
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 12:36 BST (UK) »
The following burials are recorded in Whitchurch Baptist records:

Sarah Brackstone 1783 (no specific date)
Mary Brackstone 1783 (no specific date)
Elizabeth Brackstone 1786 (no specific date)
Maria Brackstone 1786 (no specific date)
John Brackstone 21 May 1813 aged 59
Mary Brackstone 1 Nov 1817 (no age given)

John Brackstone married Mary Painter in Whitchurch (anglican) 19 Nov 1778

Between 1754 and 1837, all protestant dissenters/non-conformists could only legally marry in an anglican parish church.

I think possibly from what you say that you have searched the catalogue at:
http://calm.hants.gov.uk/DServeA/search.htm   

There was split in the congregation in 1776 at Whitchurch, due to the appointment of an unpopular minister.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RanR

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 19:06 BST (UK) »
Very grateful for your suggestions and help so far.

Thank you for the church website idea.  I really should have thought of that before!  I've sent them an e-mail to see if there is anything in the current church building about any of them (or outside in the environs) and to find out the whereabouts of the church records.

Thank you also for those burial dates.  I'm pretty sure that the John Brackstone one is my 4x G Grandfather and Mary in 1817 my 4x G Grandmother.  I've always found it a bit sad that Mary mentioned only two children as being all of her children in her will - Ann & Rebecca.  But if they did have more and they all died as these burial dates could be interpreted as meaning (Sarah & Mary in 1783 - maybe after some infection and then Elizh & Maria in 1786 possibly after another infection) then that might explain this a bit more.  It still means that they had 6 girls and apparently no boys at all.

It does mean though that the John Brackstone who gave his testimony and was received into membership at the Whitchurch independent chapel in 1752 (son of Nicholas Brackstone appointed as their pastor in 1750/1 and then died soon after, and John the brother of Thomas Brackstone, deacon at the church in 1789 who died 1794 aged 79) could not possibly have been my 4x g grandfather who was not born till 1753/4.

Can I please ask one other question which your final comment about the split in the congregation raised in my mind?  Was the split within the Baptist church congregation, so forming 2 Baptist congregations in Whitchurch, or did one congregation come out of the other (ie Baptists out of the Independents or vice versa)?  I seem to recall reading something about various ministers and some not being so popular, when I managed to get to a micro fiche reader a couple of weeks ago to read the film I'd had sent from Hants Record Office of the Independent church minutes book.

Thank you once again for this.  It's all helpful because now I can begin to investigate the possible children who these burials suggest died in infancy, and maybe make use fo the naming patterns from their christian names.  It also gives me a birth year or so for John Brackstone - always helpful!!

Please feel free to throw anything else you find or any ideas/opinions into the melting pot.  I appreciate the help.  Thank you.
Berks: MILLARD
Cornwall (west): HOSKEN, WOOLCOCK, DONNITHORNE, TREWEEK, TRESEDDER, MITCHELL, NANCARROW, REYNOLDS
Cambs/Hunts: LANGFORD, WRIGHT
Derbys: MOTTRAM
Hants/Surrey (London): BRACKSTONE, SCOREY, DENSLOW, POULTER, WYLD, KINCHIN, RANGER, LEWIS, DAVIES
Herts: JUDD, UNCLE, RUMBALL
Nth Yorks: MOON
Suffolk/Essex/Cambs: WINNY, SARGENT, DICKERSON, RUSH, WATTS, PICKESS, MASON, SCOTCHER, ADAMS, FERNSWORTH
Shropshire: GOUGH, BYWATER, POULTER
Warks/Worcs: WHITE, SALMON, WOODWARD, WIMBLETT

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 21:17 BST (UK) »
The information about the split is apparently contained in a book (at HRO, ref: 127M94/96, original in need of salvage, but available on fiche) about the history of Whitchurch Independent Church.  It contains notes about entries and dismissals to the church and some personal experiences of the congregation.  This church was/is part of the Hampshire Congregational Union and not Baptist.  I don't know if the split gave rise to an alternative Congregational Church in Whitchurch or if the unhappy section joined another pre-exisiting non-conformist church in the area.

The records of Whitchurch Baptist Church are held at Winchester, reference 46M71.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Genny Kang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rebecca Brackstone and James Baker
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 December 10 23:48 GMT (UK) »

This is a bit more on Rebecca Brackstone and James Baker.  I am searching for an Edward Baker of Southampton, whose son Edward Brackstone Baker was born in 1811. Edward Baker married Anna Frances Maria Cattley in 1810.

I found the information on James Baker and Rebecca Brackstone as below in my search for an earlier Baker and Brackstone connection.  If anyone comes across a connection prior to 1811, I would be very grateful.

JAMES BAKER was born circa in 1790 Andover and married Rebecca Brackstone of Lymingon on 11 April 1826 by licence. He was listed as a currier.  Rebecca was 21 and the daughter of John Brackstone. She died between 1835 and 1841.

In 1841, 1851 and 1861 James Baker lived with his unmarried sister Jane Baker, born circa 1793 in Andover and his daughters.

James Baker died on 19 January 1862 in Andover and left £8,000. His executors were his daughter Jane Saunders Baker, James Weeks of Wokingham, Berkshire, an auctioneer and George Henry Barber of Portsmouth. His daughters henceforth lived off “their own means” on income from rent of houses and land etc.

James Baker and Rebecca Brackstone had at least three children:

Mary Brackstone Baker christened 4 July 1828 Andover. She lived with her father, sister and aunt in 1861 and her sister in 1871. In 1881 and 1891 she lived in a boarding house run by Martha Barber in Andover.
She died in 1899 “on 28 July at Netley House, Ordnance Rd Southampton, Mary Brackstone Baker, of Andover, aged 71”

Jane Saunders Baker christened 25 Feb 1830 – living with her sister 1871. She married Philip Henry Luntley in 1873 in Southampton. She died in 1900 “on the 1st December, Jane Saunders, younger daughter of the late James Baker, of Andover Hants, wife of P H Luntley, Sunnybrook, Bromley, in her 71st year.” 

James Brackstone Baker christened 23 Feb 1835, died 1837 Andover

Offline Eleo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 February 11 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I too am researching  Edward Baker and his family in general.  What I don't understand is how James Baker who married Rebecca Brackstone links up with Edward (he was the father of Edward Brackstone Baker and 8 other children).  Can anyone advise?  Edward Baker  (1776-1866)  was one of 11 siblings and his sister Charlotte married Isaac Fletcher.  Edward's parents were Thomas Baker and Betty (nee Martin).  Thank ytou