Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 74446 times)

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #207 on: Saturday 13 June 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Do you have the full transcription of the Southill Church book?

I've just come across a note saying that Thomas was a trustee in 1714, way before his marriage and settlement.

Thanks

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Sunday 14 June 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry I haven't Chris. Maybe David (Bedfordshireboy) has a copy, although I haven't seen him on this thread for some years (no particular reason for him to be here as he doesn't have Carver relatives)

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Sunday 14 June 20 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jan, I’ve been in touch with him off firing and he’s confirmed that there wasn’t anything before 1719

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline Paul Egan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Sunday 10 January 21 04:30 GMT (UK) »
In reference to “Carver Ramblings” on rootschat, and Ben Carver, transported to Australia 1792; I was researching the Stormont family and John Leifchild when I came across the following mention of Benjamin Carver:
...John Leifchild, His Public Ministry, Private Usefulness, and Personal Characteristics by John R. Leifchild. Copyright © 2017 by HardPress
....Another Edition is published by Jackson, Walford, and Hodder. Kindle Edition. And titled - John Leifchild D.D.. Kindle Edition.

- John Roby Leifchild tells us his grandfather had known and spoken of Ben Carver and refers to him in the following quotation from these works.
   “When I recently visited Barnet by the Great Northern Railway, and saw every acre of ground cultivated, and every plot of building sites occupied, to the exclusion of all waste and solitary places, it seemed strange to me, that highwaymen were the terror of travellers, even within my father's recollection.
   He narrated the capture of one whom he had known as a fine young man, and as once respectable, to the following effect:— Carver, for that was his name, had unhappily been induced to gamble; and in order to find money for his young wife and children he, in an evil hour, dared to take to the road. His first attempt was also his last.
A mile or two out of Barnet he suddenly stopped and accosted two ladies in a travelling equipage. "Ladies," said he, "I need, and must have, your money. Do not be alarmed, 1 shall not injure a hair of your heads. Only give me your purses, and your watches, and your jewels." These the ladies immediately surrendered; but so unhardened was the robber, that he returned the watches, and respectfully inclining to the ladies, bade the coachman drive on.
Confused as Carver was in this his first attack, he foolishly rode on towards Barnet,—the very direction in which the carriage he had stopped was proceeding,—and in so doing passed another carriage, containing some relatives of the plundered ladies. Intelligence was soon conveyed from carriage to carriage, and the driver of the foremost arranged to take out one of the carriage horses and ride at full speed after Carver, whom he soon approached, and then never lost sight of him until he reached the town; upon entering which he raised the cry, "Stop thief!" Instantly a crowd scrambled after Carver, who to escape rode up a side street, which, however, proved to be no thoroughfare.
He was soon taken, and it so happened that my grandfather was then chief constable, so that my father had an opportunity of seeing Carver brought in. The dejected look of the captive, his exclamations of grief for his family, the trial before the local justice, the committal, and his subsequent transportation, were all en graven on my father's memory, and reproduced in the winter evenings of the winter of his life.”

This report suggests Benjamin already had a wife and child, possibly Sarah Dibbs, who accompanied him on The Royal Admiral and maybe the child was the mysterious Peace or Pierce, who is with him in Australia in later years.

I have read Carver Ramblings over the past decade and wonder if others have further information of the Carver linage.
Regards Paul

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Sunday 10 January 21 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

Welcome to Rootschat :D

Thanks for your posting about Ben Carver - I can't remember off hand who has Ben in their tree but hopefully they will see your post and reply.

Do you have Carvers in your tree?

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul and Jan

Ben was an indirect ancestor of mine and have spent a lot of time researching him along with Bev, who is a direct ancestor down under. I’ll make sure she sees this as it is new info for us.

Certainly an interesting take on Sarah Dobbs and Peace. Are the references easily available?

Regards

Chris

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I’ve finally had a DNA test through Ancestry. It hasn’t come up with any close matches, so wondered if anyone other Carvers on here had taken one?

Chris

Offline Paul Egan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Monday 11 January 21 05:47 GMT (UK) »
My Carver connection is through Ann, daughter of Benjamin Carver and Sarah Dibb(s); Ann was born in Australia in 1798, and traveled from Richmond, New South Wales in 1817 to Madras, India with her first husband Sgt. Robert Broadfoot on the strength of the 46th. Regiment of Foot. Ann travelled the breadth of India for 15 years, acting in support rolls with the Regiment and in domestic service to three husbands, all of whom, died before the family returned to Australa, via Cork, Ireland. Ann Carver Broadfoot Appelbe Marlow Paris Farrell gave birth to twelve children including Mary Anne Marlow, a direct ancestor in the female linage of my own family.

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Bev is having problems replying to posts, so she asked me to upload this photo of Ben's grandson also Benjamin b 1845. Does anybody else have photos of that generation for comparison?

She is also asking if Easby Carver is still on here and asks if he can reference a 1930s Australian Carver tree that he mentioned in a post on page 6 reply 47/1/1/10