Author Topic: Janet Reid poetess of Bridge of Allan  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Bookman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Janet Reid poetess of Bridge of Allan
« on: Sunday 07 September 08 14:10 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the burial record of Janet Reid the poetess who died in mid-1854 at Bridge of Allan. She was probably buried in Logie Churchyard or Logie Old Churchyard. There is no record of a gravestone in 'East Stirlingshire monumental inscriptions'. Is there anyone with access to the lair books for these churchyards who would be willing to look up the record? I suppose the lair books are in the Stirlingshire archives but perhaps there are copies in Stirling public library. Bookman

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Reid poetess of Bridge of Allan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 08 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Bookman

If you can get hold of someone in Stirling your answer should be available at Viewforth.

I have used the following service successfully in the past when back home in Stirling from Cyprus.

c.f.

http://www.stirling.gov.uk/index/life/bereavement/interment.htm
quotes ....
Public Browser
Stirling Council's  Cemeteries Service has had software installed on a PC (situated in Interview Room 1, 3rd Floor, Viewforth).  This software entitled 'Public Browser' is a useful tool which will enable members of the public to access cemetery interment records in an easily understandable format.  The searches can be undertaken on the basis of surname and there is also a date range facility.
Appointments to utilise this system can be made by telephoning (01786) 442559 - this is required to ensure that the interview room is availabe.
Appointments can be made on a ˝ hourly basis starting at 10.00am till 12.00 noon and 2.00pm to 4.00pm - Monday to Friday.

Aye
DDJJAKE

Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline Bookman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi DDJJake,
Thanks for that information which wll be useful anyway. I have visited different parts of Scotland three times over the last ten years researching Janet Reid but I am in the south of England so it is a long trek and I am not getting any younger!
Bookman

Offline ironmax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bookman
                        Just found your entry looking for Janet Reid of Bridge of Allan, As I work for Stirling Council I will have a look for Janet Reid's burial for you, I also stay in Bridge of Allan
                                                                                                Ironmax

Offline Bookman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ironmax,
Thanks very much but DJJake has already got someone to look and I found that Stirling Archives were willing to look too. There were some further messages about this - perhaps there still are somewhere on this site! There is no record of her burial anywhere in Stirlingshire. I think now that her relatives probably took her back to Saline in Fife for burial where she was born. Unfortunately the Saline lair book for that period has not survived. Thanks again for your offer to help.
Bookman