Author Topic: can anyone help  (Read 3349 times)

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
can anyone help
« on: Thursday 11 September 08 14:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Daniel James Davies born May 1876 in Cwrtnewydd
Daniel married
Ann Griffiths born April 1887 LaxRam Lampeter
I can't find Lax ram??
any help on this couple would be great

Best wishes Sharon

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello tegan,

Ok,first of all do you have an address for Daniel-I know Cwrtnewydd pretty well half of my family are from there!

Secondly,as to Ann there is a Ram Inn public house in Cwm-ann just outside Lampeter,the Lax bit i'm not too sure about but I seem to remember it from somewhere.

Ah well one of those things that is going to bug you all night!!!!

Anyway get back to me if you have any more clues and i'll do my best to help.

Regards,brawd houdini
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 08 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not much info really all I know is that their daughter is Mair Davies who is married to Professer WJ Orville Thomas of Aberystwyth college University
Daniel,  Mairs father had been a teacher at the local grammer school in town
That they were a local family to Aberystwyth

Regards Sharon

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharon,
Did you get my PM?Not that I expected an answer just curious.I have come across some more info. for you,some of which will have to be in a PM.As to Lax both myself and my mother believe it could be the name of a farm near Ram.Also Ram was not just the name of a Public house it was also the name of a hamlet or small village.
Let me know if you require more info.
Regards,brawd houdini
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Davies-
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi David

yes I did get your message thank you.

All i have found out is that one of the grandmothers lived to be 96 and her mother before her 102,  Mair's mother also achieved 92.

Miar's father didn't marry until he was 42 and her mother 32

would love more information if you have it.

Thank you
Regards
Sharon

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 September 08 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hello again Sharon,

I did'nt want to put this on the main board as it contains an address for D.J.Davies Ph.D,B.A which is Blaencwrt,Cwrtnewydd.I know of this place it,s about 2 miles out of Cwrtnewydd village.It's quite easy to find on the Ordnance Survey map for Cardiganshire as it is marked on there just above Cwrtnewydd.

Also since the last mail i've come across a Lax Lodge mentioned in a WW1 obituary so it could be that Lax was rather more than a farm and could have been a country mansion.

Good luck,will let you know if I discover more.

Regards,David
Griffiths-
Davies-

Offline DJDavies

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 February 14 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I have been gathering a vast amount of information on Dr Daniel James Davies, born Blaencwrt, 1st May, 1876, died 3rd January 1951. He was a teacher of German and French at Aberystwyth Intermediate School (Ardwyn) and was a conscientious objector during the First World War (which is why I am uncovering his story). When conscription came in he was allowed to stay in his job because of his conscientious convictions and because he was doing work of national importance, but one of the school governors was determined to get him sacked and after 2 years, succeeded, but only for a few weeks- the male pupils went on strike in sympathy with him, and many local organisations wrote letters criticising the decision so he was reinstated. However, the same Governor made him resign in 1929 and again there was a public campaign to reinstate him, but his successor had already been appointed, so he was given a job as a supply teacher. He married in 1921 (i.e. when he was 44). He was actively involved in peach organisations and with the Unitarians. Much of the information about his conscientious stand, his sackings and his obituary is in the Cambrian News, which, for 1869-1919 is on line.