Author Topic: Property Search  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Property Search
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 September 08 14:18 BST (UK) »
Well, I can search with wildcards, and when I search for Aberd* in Montgomeryshire, it produces (in 1851).....

Aberdinant Newtown and Llanidloes Piece 2497
Aberdinant Newtown and Llanidloes Piece 2496
Aberdewnant Newtown and Llanidloes Piece 2496

and in 1871 in Montgomeryshire there's

Aberdyenemt Upper Llanidloes, Newtown Piece 5607

in 1891 we have....

Aberdaumont Upper Llandidloes, Newtown Piece 4589

Do you know what time frame you're looking in ?

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 September 08 14:23 BST (UK) »
My husbands grandmother was born in 1904, typical lousy family they have no interest in family history and have no idea's so when I ask questions I'm greated with blank faces!

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 September 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
Join the club !  (Sorry for getting your name wrong earlier - bad eyesight  :-[ )
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline keigcf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 September 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
Its alright, I've been called a lot worse!

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 September 08 17:06 BST (UK) »
There we have a slight problem, I'm only going on a spoken name Aberdroth (Don't Know correct spelling) can't find on a map, or on anything else. The farm was located between Llangurig and Llanidloes which is Montgomeryshire. Thats why I was hoping to find a site where I could search area's. Had a look on the historical directories and not had any success there.... driving me nuts!!!!

The hard way to do this is to search through the census images page by page on a site like ancestry or findmypast.

To do this on Ancestry, I go to search but don't put any names in.  Look for UK Census Collections and then the year. then the county (montgomeryshire, in this case), then the civil parish (Llanidloes or Llanidloes Without), then go through each enumeration district.  On Ancestry, there is also the front page of enumeration district, which is the enumerator's description of the district.

So, District 5 of Llanidloes Without (picked at random) is described as bounded "On the north, the middle of the Bryndn Road, on the East the wood known as Llellcockynaus and Old Quary Bryncach Wood & Byrndn, on the South Brynpaskg Hill"  (sorry for the appalling attempt at transcription of the Welsh placenames).

Then you get a description of the enumeration district: "Part of the Parish of Llanidloes, from Maenol Dulas Villa ..." I'll not risk the further ire of the Welsh by trying to transcribe anymore.

These descriptions exist for each of the enumeration districts for the civil parish, so you may be able to find the appropriate one(s) by reading the descriptions, rather than ploughing through the census pages one by one.

Of course, there's the risk that the name you know it by, might not have been the one used then.

Presumably you're looking at the building/farm's history, rather than the individuals who lived there (otherwise why can't you look by name?).

Two other suggestions:

1) Try asking on the Montgomeryshire board here on rootschat
2) Try a search for the property name on Access2Archives and/or the Powys Records Office.  A farm is likely to have changed hands several times over the centuries, and they may copies of documents relating to the sale/bequest of the farm.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest