Author Topic: MacQuarrie-Gordon Clans  (Read 11378 times)

Offline tmisty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacQuarrie-Gordon Clans
« on: Thursday 11 September 08 18:56 BST (UK) »
                                  " UPDATED"   " UPDATED"
Hi i am hoping someone may be able to help me, Ive been asked by an elderly friend if i could find some information about his grandparents and Great grand parents born in inverness scotland. How accurate his information is may not be 100% due to his age and what history he has of his familys history. does anyone know these names: (The MacQuarrie could be spelt two ways McQuarrie or MacQuarrie
~~~~~~~~-------------------------------
[JOHN MacQUARRIE/McQUARRIE born ______INVERNESS SCOTLAND
Married ?

ISABELLA GORDON (LADY GORDON) born_______(Cromdale,Inverallan,Advie,Inverness)
Isabella Gordon was known as Lady gordon of the House of Gordon SCOTLAND.  a book found among the parents bits and pieces may suggest that isabella is from HUNTLY CASTLE , the belief is also from old clippings the the McQuarrie family originated from MULL....There is also a connection to a Famous Gordon Buried in Invercargill Newzealand. The same town that the McQuarrie's settled, and were also conciderd high profile people. WILLIAM AUGUST GORDON, brother of the famous GENERAL GORDON OF KHARTOUM.

Children of John McQuarrie and Isabella Gordon

JOHN McQUARRIE born c1836   (Parish of Cromdale,Ross-shire)   
                             Died 1891,Invercargill, southland,New Zealand 
 (this is the only known child so far.{john was an assistant ot Govoner George Grey}
                                                         {as served sometime as Mayor of south invercargill}
John
Married  Jane Paterson/ aprox 1859 at Cromdale,Parash of Strathspey

JANE PATERSON born (details unknown yet)

CHILDREN OF JOHN AND JANE

1.John(Jack) McQuarrie_____Scotland, (believed to have gone to Australia)
2.DONALD McQUARRIE born 1858 Grantown on the spey? Scotland
                                 died 1951, INVERCARGILL,SOUTHLAND,NEWZEALAND (93yrs)
3.-----------------
4.George McQuarrie (b)______ NZ (d) 1898, was a constable in police force
5. Charles (b) NZ
6. Walter  (b) NZ (D) 1915

I am also to believe that this John may have married previous to Jane Paterson to a Helen Garrow-No information is known of this. John arrived in new Zealand ahead of his Family, The children arrived in NZ abord the Chilie with their Mother.. The passanger list also includes Isabella, (it is unsure wether this is the Grandmother or a Child)

DONALD McQUARRIE arrived in NZ as a three year old and Married MARY TOSH_____at Invercargill and resided their until their deaths.
Their Children
Jack McQuarrie--------
Eric J McQuarrie Married Marjorie nee Herne
Everlyn
 Child of Eric and Marjorie McQuarrie.
Walter- living

The information i have listed here is new info he has given me, a Scrapbook had been kept of clippings but doesnt provide any helpful stuff. The Main thing he wants to know about is his grandparents line back and where they came from.. Other clippings that were in this scrapbook are about "The DEE VALLEY Lochnagar, In The Heart of STRATHBOGIE, The old TOLL HOUSE at WINDSOR (NSW) artical re- LACHLAN McQuarrie and Convict Fitzegerald.. these are all newspaper clippings and mostly around gordon's however he has no idea if there is a link with his family. Sorry i should include here, two family crest things have been found among the things, he is of the understanding HUNTLY CASTLE one is their Gordon crest and there is a small hanging circle crest with what looks like a soldiers arm with a sword. if this means anything to anyone.

The John Macquarrie and Jane Paterson is Mentioned in the MacQuarrie Scattered clan book, but I have been unsucessful in finding information on them.. this may also be due to spelling errors.

I would like to help Walt find alittle information as he is now the only surviving member of his family, was an only child and he himself never married or had children.. if anyone could help i would be very greatful. I have posted here the little bit that appears in the scattered clan that also may be of help
                                                     "Scattered Clan"(website of MacQuarrie Clan)
*John McQuarry, who arrived 16 years or so later with his wife Jane Petterson and a young family, was born in Ross-shire (son of another John and his wife Isabella Gordon), but when he married in 1859 he was living in Cromdale parish in Strathspey and working as a 'floater of wood' - one who helped to keep the rafts of logs moving down the great river from the Inverness-shire forests to the sea.81 More children were born to this couple in Invercargill, and Donald (who arrived as a three-year-old) set up as a coach and carriage builder in this southernmost city of the British Commonwealth.
Names: Main line WEBB,married to DICKS,STUBBS,BRANSON. Places of Intrest. Northampton England (Brington,Denford,Titchmarsh..Northampton)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: MacQuarrie-Gordon Clans
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi tmisty

I'm a bit confused with your dates here  ::) You have two John Mcquarrie here b. 1836 d. 1891 and married to Isabella Gordon. You then also have another John McQuarrie (son to Isabella and John?) born 1835 who married Helen and then Janet.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 08 19:33 BST (UK) »
This looks like John McQuarrie and wife Jane Paterson in 1861:

John McQuarry 25, agri. lab., b. Dingwall, Rossshire
Jane McQuarry 25, b. Avoch, Rossshire
John McQuarry 1, b. Cromdale, Invernessshire

Address: Easter Lethendry, Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie, Inverness-shire

There is this birth reg. showing on IGI for son John above:

JOHN MC QUARRY  Born on 02 NOV 1859 Cromdale And Inverallan And Advie, Inverness

Other children showing for them, also on IGI:

1. DONALD MC QUARRY  Born 31 JAN 1863 Cromdale And Inverallan And Advie, Inverness
3. ISABELLA MC QUARRY  Born 11 JUN 1861 Cromdale And Inverallan And Advie, Inverness

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 08 19:42 BST (UK) »
John at home with mother in 1841:

Isabella Gordon 30
John MacQuarrie 5
Ann MacQuarrie 3

Address: Alms House, Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty

In 1851, there is a 17 yr old John McCarry (probably mistranscribed for McQuarry) born in Dingwall working in Banff.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 08 22:52 BST (UK) »
Had a look for Isabella Gordon in 1851 to try and establish her place of birth (the 1841 census only shows whether someone was born in the county that the census took place or not). This looks like her:

Isabella Pordon (spelling as transcribed on the index I am looking at) 35, washerwoman, b.Dingwall
Ann McQuarrie 14, daughter, house servant, b. Dingwall

Address: Grant's Lane, Dingwall

It is quite common in Scotland for women to retain/use their maiden name following marriage.

Monica

Offline tmisty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 September 08 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies, yes there are 2 John,
John McQuarrie/MacQuarrie married Isabella Gordon (lady Gordon)
one known child
John McQuarrie/MacQuarrie married Jane Peterson, This john must have remarried but i am unclear of which wife came first...Jane Peterson or Helen Garrow. This John McQuarrie died 1891 aged 55yrs in new zealand

I will contact walter the great grandson whom i am looking this information for, to see if he can provide any other information relating to this family..
thanks for the information so far..
Names: Main line WEBB,married to DICKS,STUBBS,BRANSON. Places of Intrest. Northampton England (Brington,Denford,Titchmarsh..Northampton)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 September 08 17:36 BST (UK) »
Post back with any new info  :)

Looks like John McQ Senior may have died before the 1841 census, so will be hard to get any further info on him (unless there is anything that could help from son John's marriage cert here in Scotland or his death (or possible second marriage) in NZ.

Given John Jnr's age in 1861, likely first wife was Jane Paterson. Again, might be worth searching for a second marriage for him to Helen Garrow in NZ. His Scottish marriage to Jane Paterson, available to view on Scotlands People, will show his marital status (bachelor/widower). It will also show father's occupation and confirm him as deceased. Similarly for mother Isabella, it may show a new married name if she remarried and whether she was alive or deceased at the time of son John's marriage.

I couldn't easily find the family on the 1871 census here in Scotland. Also if son Donald was a three yr old when he arrived in NZ, the family's arrival year would have been circa 1866 (you quoted 1886 but I assume this may have been in error).

Monica  :)

Offline loulabelle-nz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 April 09 02:51 BST (UK) »
These are my relatives, have done a bit of reasearch, too much to post here as can only post so many words, let me know if interested and please post a contact email address and I can fill in some gaps. My maternal great grandmother is Mary Jane McQuarrie daughter of John McQuarrie b.1836 and Jean Patterson b.1834. She married Willaim Henry Spencer in 1891 and had 8 children. Will wait to hear Louise

Offline WGM mainlander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 May 09 07:57 BST (UK) »
Donald McQuarrie was my great uncle and Mary Jane my great aunt.  My grandfather was Duncan McQuarrie who married Leah Jacobine Hemmingsen.  Duncan died in 1899.  He was a police constable.  He got wet following a murderer at Tuatapere and never recovered, dying shortly after.  Duncan and Leah had two girls and two boys.  Duncan was only 30 when he died.  Leah then married Paul Rogers  who died shortlyafter when blasting tree stumps. They had one son Paul.  Leah then remarried and had another boy.  I have fond memories of her even though I was only three years old when she died.