Author Topic: 1861 Census St Martin at Oak Norwich  (Read 1854 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
1861 Census St Martin at Oak Norwich
« on: Saturday 29 January 05 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking for this family in St Martin at Oak Norwich in 1861

Charles Knights b 1841
Harriet Knights b 1843
John Knights b 1844
Emily Knights b 1846
Elizabeth Louisa Knights b 1852

I Do not know the Fathers Name
Mother is Emily b Hoxne Suffolk 1811

in 1851 they were at Jones Yard St Martin Street St Martin at Oak with Emilys Father
Stephen Bloom
1971 they were married and at diff locations around St Martin at Oak

Thank You.....Kris  ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census St Martin at Oak Norwich
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 05 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kriss,

Have found the girls for you

Emily Knight   Head  unmar  48  charwoman  b. Norwich?
Emily Knight     Dau               14 Silk weaver  b. Norwich
Elizabeth "       Dau                11 Scholar        b. Norwich

Living at Robinsons Yard, St Martin at Oak, Norwich. No sign of the boys in St Martin at Oak.

Hope this helps All the best Angela.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 January 05 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Angela U didnt write down the ref details by any chance did u? Also for Emilys POB u have Norwich? is it hard to read....1851 lists Hoxne Suffolk?.....What a can of worms this is becoming....1851 Emily and family r living with father Stephen Bloom...She does list as unwed but with father listed I had assumed she was actually a Widow (I only have LDS transcript so assumed transcript error)  but now u have provided another entry listing unwed so am trying to work out how her father is Stephen Bloom.....Born out of wedlock mayhap but has a relationship with her father  ??? Just dont know.....Also Elizabeth does not appear in 51 yet here she is 11 in 61 ??? ....have just been though 51 again and cant c her elsewhere...this age 11 does fit later entries.....1871 cant find her...1881 31 1891 41 1901 51 so very consistant there with age....looks like this date we have of 25 dec 52 must be baptism at a few years old perhaps.....Think I will have to find the birth ...Thank You Angela Nothing like a good problem to have to solve...lol.......Really appreciate your help....Kris  :D

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 January 05 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris,

odd entry, I agree. Could she have been married and then hubby ran off or she chucked him out?? The only ref I wrote down was this

RG9  1210  page 48 and the next page.

Is that enough detail or will I check for any other number?? Emily is on one page and the 2 girls on the next. It is very clear and Emily snr  place of birth is just ditto marks for Norwich, Norfolk. Possibly the enumerator just presumed she was norwich born

I had a quick look on the 1841 and couldn't find her and Charles or any Blooms but there is a whole section of St Martin at Oaks that is totally unreadable (quite a few pages)

Couldn't find any blooms nither.

Did find another Knight in 1861, Just incase you want more confusion. (Couldn't see any others in 1861)

John Knight  Wid   71   Fisherman   b. Norwich
Edward "      Son   15   Fisherman   b. Norwich.

I didn't write the page no down but he was living Oak st, St martin at Oak, Norwich.

Let me know if you need more info. ok

All the best Angela.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 January 05 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Angela....That will do for now...This other family I dont know about...... So I wont worry about them for now.....We knew nothing of Emily Knights till 51 census we thought she was from Norwich but then 51 lists her as born Hoxne and father Mendlesham Suffolk  ??? I love the thought of her throwing mr Knights out...lol....More investigation required here i feel.....Charles should have been in St Martin at Oak I thought.....Would have liked him as he is widowed by 71...One Child b St Clement 1856 the rest born St Martin 1860 on so wonder where they vanished to...Also Pity bout 1841...These things were sent to try us......Thank You very much for your help Angela...It is really appreciated...Cheers Kris  ;D

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 January 05 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I will have a look  for Charles in St Clement in 1861 if you want.

Any idea where John might have gone and I could look for him aswell for you.

As for census  my parish records that I am trying to get hold of were damaged as somebody thought they would be safer to be buried over the years!!!!!!!!! Apparently they are in a dreadful state.

My 1861 census for Ely was destroyed in floods. Which is a real headache. I suppose it wouldn't be much fun if it was too easy to find info but not to be able to find it at all is very fustrating.

Ah well I will go and see if I can find Charles for you ok

Angela.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 January 05 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela....I dont know if it is worth trawling St Clement...I imagine these r large areas and would hate u to b waisting your time.....I just checked my records and actually in 71 I only have Emily married and in St Martin and Charles widowed his first child Elizabeth 14 b St Clement his secord child Charles 11 b St Martin Oak They were at Robinsons Yard...I have nothing further on John mayb he died...It is the girls that r of interest...Eliz has to be in Norwich in 71 but I cant find her so I know what u mean about missing and damaged records (I have so many just missing no matter what u try)......It is anoying to say the least......I Will contact my research buddy on this one...it is only a side line for me but her direct.....Have to work out where to go with this Emily Knights....Stephen Bloom thing.....We were about to order Elizs birth or Marriage cert looking for fathers name now seeing your census find I am not feeling hopefull.....Still have the marriage ref quess it is worth a try.....will have to find the birth one...I was on 1837 online yesterday but was looking for a ref compatable with 25 dec 1852 which is ov not the birth record at all(Baptism mayb)...These things were sent to try us......Thank You....Kris  :D

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 January 05 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Just finished checking St Clements and no he wasn't there maybe he has gone to visit his thrown out father!!!! Its worth a look just incase a person thinks he is in one parish but is infact in another if you know what I mean.  What you could do with is the 1861 index for Norwich which I am afraid I haven't got.  If you want me to check anywhere else for you just give me a shout ok. I am at a loss with my own headache of a family and I am leaving them alone for a while hoping they might sort themselves out (Some wish huh). So only to glad to play with someone elses headache.

Good luck and all the best Angela.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 January 05 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the effort here Angela...u have me in stitches here...LOL...I know what u mean I would rather sort out someone elses headaches as well....Some times I actually do some good with theirs!...Mine...MMM...One Day.......I Go off something for a year or more some times when I cant find it then come back and have another go in the hope of some kind of miraculous intervention...LOL...Thanks again...Kris  :D