Author Topic: Can anyone read this section of a Will from the 1690's please?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Can anyone read this section of a Will from the 1690's please?
« on: Friday 12 September 08 11:48 BST (UK) »
I'd be really grateful if anyone is able to read this section of the will of Francis Godolphin from circa 1690 please?

I've been poring over it with magnifying glass and an enlargement of the text but still can't make head nor tail of it!

BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
CRANE; PLEAVIN; SUMNER;DUTTON Cheshire; HEWITT (Cheshire & Liverpool);
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
MCVEY; MELLOR in Liverpool PRICE(Denbighshire & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this section of a Will from the 1690's please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 September 08 12:06 BST (UK) »
Here's what I've managed so far...there are quite a few bits I'm unsure of though  :-\

In the name of god Amen the twentyth daye of January Anno Dom. one
thousand six hundred ninety and five I Francis Godolphin of the ?
Collumbe in the County of Cornewall Innkeep being sick and weake in bodye
butt of perfect minde and memory praised(?) be god doe make this my last will
and testament in the manner and form followeinge

I give and bequeath my soul into the hands of almighty god my Creator through whose
? in Christ my most gracious redeemer I hope to oblige?  ... of my
sins and ... next for my bodye my desier ... be
interred in a decent and Christian manner as my Executor hereafter named
shall thinke fitt and as to my worldly effecte which god has been pleased to blesse me
with all  I .... I give unto my sonn Anthony Godolphin
the summe of twenty shillings to bepaid him within twelve month next
after my death.  Item I give unto my daughter Jane twenty shillings
to be paid her twelve months after my death.  Item I give unto...

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 08 12:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks - you really are a star!  I could have stared at the document from now until eternity and I still don't think I'd be able to read it  ???

Could I possibly impose on you to have a look at the second part of Francis's Will please?

BRUCE; MATHER; MCKILLOP;BALMAIN;ALYSON (Perth,Scotland);BLAIR:SCOTT;FLEMING,PATERSON; SEMPLE (Midlothian, Scotland)
FLAHERTY;HEGARTY; KELLY; LAPPIN; MCDONALD SAVAGE; REYNOLDS (Ireland & Liverpool);
BOLITHO;CHAMPERNOWNE;GODOLPHIN;HODGE;TREBILCOCK;TREVILER;WEBB;    TREWARTHA:UREN (Cornwall)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 September 08 12:58 BST (UK) »
To continue:

the sum of twenty shillings to be paid him within twelve months next after my death  Item I give unto my daughter Jane twenty shillings to be paid her twelve months after my death  to my   Item I give unto my daughter Elizabeth Godolphin twenty shillings  to bee paid her twelve months after my death  Item I give unto my daughter Frances twenty shillings three pounds to bee paid her twelve months after my death  Item I give unto my Sonn Edward three pounds to bee paid in twelve months after my death  Item I give unto my daughter Margery three pounds to bee paid her in twelve months after my death  Item I give unto my daughter Ann three pounds to be paid her in twelve months next after my death  Item all the rest of my goods chattels & debts I give devise and bequeath unto my dearly beloved wife Frances Godolphin whome I make constitute and ordayne my whole Sole Executrix of this my last will & testament  In witness whereof I the said Francis Godolphin have hereunto putt my hand & seal (?) ..... the daye & yeare first above written
Signed sealed decalred & published
in p[re]sence of us   ? Champion
Zack Maye
Charles ?Pollard

Syne of Francis Godolphin

I think in the first part it says Towne of St Collumb

Nell

Hope you don't mind, Prue  ;)
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 September 08 13:18 BST (UK) »
Nell - thank you so much for translating that for me - much appreciated :)

I ordered the Will suspecting that it was the correct one for my
7 x great grandfather - the correct date, the correct place (St Columb Major) and it seems that the name of his wife and the children all tie in, which is great :)

Francis Godolphin I have in my tree is son of the younger brother of Sir William Godolphin (1605-1663). Francis and his 2nd wife Frances along with the children (some of whom were from his first marriage to Grace Crewes) are all listed in the 'Visitations of Cornwall'

The one thing that makes me curious though is his occupation of  'innkeep'.  I'm showing my ignorance here, but how likely is it that a son of the Godolphin family would be an Innkeeper?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 September 08 13:39 BST (UK) »
It certainly looks like Innkeep - I'd agree that seems strange, but don't discount it yet.  I think the whole family needs some further investigation. 

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kelly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 September 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell  I think I'll have to book myself a trip to the Cornwall Records Office next year  :)