Author Topic: 1891 census look up - Frederick Latus  (Read 3057 times)

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1891 census look up - Frederick Latus
« on: Saturday 13 September 08 20:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the following on the 1891 census

Frederick Latus (b. 1861 Hull)
Fanny Latus (b. 1863 Hull
Flora Orry latus (b. 1883 Hull)
Sydney Orry latus (b. 1886 Hull)

I have the family located on the 1901 census and Frederick on the 1861/71/81 censuses' but this one I can't seem to find.  ???

Ian :)
Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census look up - Frederick Latus
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 08 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Do you have access to census? Try RG12/3924 50 23

:)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 08 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati,

That's the one.

Thank you.

Ian :)
Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull

Offline orry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 November 08 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I remember my grandad Frederick when he was about 87 years old - as a young man he started a mineral water factory.  He was also the first person in Hull to introduce potato crisps from USA via a trade fair in London.  His father John Orry was listed in Whose Who as a cow keeper!  Do you know the origin of the name Orry?  It goes back a long way to John Orry Latus born 1811 Hull - he was the 11th child of Thomas Latus b. 1762 and Jane Hanson b. 1762 both of Hull.  I have no record (yet) of the name cropping up in the previous generation Ralph (father of Thomas) was born 1728 in Hull his wife Ann Frow was born 1729 - they had 5 children Mary, Ann, Joseph, Thomas and John.  All the family were married, christened and buried at Holy Trinity, Hull - so further records will exist.
I have made a start on a tree - if I can help you further do let me know.
Orry.

Offline aplunkett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 21:11 BST (UK) »
Interesting to read your comments. John Orry Latus was my great great grandfather and Alfred Orry Latus, Frederick's brother, was my great grandfather. I am currently doing some family history research. I wonder are you the son of Sydney or Flora?

Ann

Offline orry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 June 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
Pleased to meet you Ann - I am Sydney's son - Flora had no children.
Grandad Frederick was born Isle of Sheppey where his father was employed as a shipwright. He soon came back to Hull though.  My research is on hold for the moment until I can visit Hull again.

Offline aplunkett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 June 09 11:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Orry

Thanks for your reply.  My great grandfather, Frederick's brother, worked in the family milk business started by his father John Orry Latus, which flourished well into the 20th century and which Alfred's wife, Elizabeth, continued to maintain financial control during the 1930s. I wonder why their father switched his job of shipwright to cowkeeping in the 1870s?
The families lived in Hume Street, off Holderness Road near Dansom Lane and kept the cows there as well. Do you know much about the Hume Street days? 

Regards

Ann 

Offline orry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 June 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann
My sisters are a bit older than me and they remember visiting Hume St - I can put you in touch with one who is 87 - she may remember you.  Was your mother or grandmother a twin named Barrett?
My father had a pony called Gypsy - he used to fetch the cows up for milking as a young man.
I can only assume that John Orry went to seek his fortune as a young shipwright in the naval dockyard which was being built at that time in Kent.  Maybe the job finished and he returned home with his wife and young son.  Although my eldest sister is 93 - that is before her time!
Did you know about the Latus School for Girls in Hume St?  I have a photo of the class and teachers - I will dig it out.  regards Orry

Offline aplunkett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 June 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Orry,
Many thanks for your comments. The Barrett twins were in fact the Bennett twins who are my aunts;  their elder brother John was my late father. I am still in touch with one of the twins, my Auntie Joan. She remembers living in Hume Street in the 1930s with Alfred and Elizabeth, her grandparents. Her mother Amy Bennett (nee Latus) was widowed about 1930 and they all returned to live in the family home.   I have a photo of Amy's wedding and your grandfather is pictured in the group. He gave her away and was a witness. I was aware of the school which I understand was run by Emma Latus (nee Lowe) assisted by daughter, Ada Latus and would love to see the photograph if possible.

Regards

Ann

PS I don't remember your sisters but although I'm no spring chicken I am only just into my 60s. years younger than