Author Topic: Stuck on a baptism c1750 Snaith area  (Read 1848 times)

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
  • gf Henry Samuel Avery 1860-1942
    • View Profile
Stuck on a baptism c1750 Snaith area
« on: Tuesday 16 September 08 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thomas Graves married Hannah Hutchinson 25 April 1776 at St. Lawrence Church Snaith.
The marriage PR states 'Thomas Graves of the township of Kellington & township of Eggborough'
From what I can remember there was no mention of his father on the marriage PR.
I believe he died shortly after his marriage 'inquest-killed by a waggon' and buried 30 June 1776.
Hannah (now Graves) remarried  Benjamin Brook 6 April 1779 at Snaith (witnesses John Hutchinson almost certainly her brother)
----------------------------------------------
I am stuck on trying to find the baptism of Thomas, presumed c 1750.
St. Edmund King & Martyr Church at KELLINGTON covers surrounding villages including Eggborough, Whitley etc.
There are no GRAVES recored in the  Baptism Index 1705-1725, 1726-1740, 1741-1772, neither are there any GRAVES burials 1741-1772 so assume Thomas did not come from there!
Neither are their any relevant baptisms of a Thomas Graves at Snaith 1713-1777
Problem is where and even if found how to prove the link to the marriage??  :(   
There are 2 IGI baptism  of a Thomas  4 Feb 1746 Bubwith and 14 June 1737 Thorne but the same question remains.
Maybe I am as far back as I can go? : :(
Or am I missing something? :-\
Avery - Somerset & Yorkshire
Ashton - Lincs & Yorkshire
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire
Earl - Cambs, Lincs & Yorkshire
Doubtfire - London & Yorkshire
Phillipson - Lincs & Yorkshire
Hanson - Nottinghamshire & Yorkshire

Offline atCastleBliss

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck on a baptism c1750 Snaith area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I know this is a long time ago, but maybe this will help: there was another Thomas Graves b. 1732 in Yorkshire, England who died Yorkshire (of Lofthouse) on 8 March 1778. Are you sure that YOUR Thomas died in Snaith when you think he did?

My Graves family all came from Snaith or around that region. I cannot find one who fits your description.

Perhaps this site or it's parent site will help you find what you are looking for:
http://www.gravesfa.org/gen113.htm

Regards,

Felicity Graves

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Felicity
Thanks for your reply, took me by surprise from 2008!
This could take a while!! First of all Thomas born c 1750 did not die in Snaith, he was buried 30 June 1776 in Rawcliffe.
His widow Hannah remarried Benjamin Brook 6 April 1779 at Snaith.
Benjamin Brook buried 1 June 1790 Rawcliffe and Hannah nee Brook (widow) buried 29 Jan 1799 Rawcliffe.
Thomas Graves & Hannah then Hutchinson married 25 April 1776 at Snaith presumbably because Hannah bpt at Snaith (12 Dec 1757 - father Abraham)
Confused yet??
Thomas & Hannah only had the one child Thomas Graves bpt 16 Feb 1777 Rawcliffe. Unfortunately Thomas the father died June 1776 (Hannah with child at the time of Thomas' death)
Hannah then Brook went on to have several children by Benjamin Brook.
Thomas Graves bpt 16 Feb 1777 Rawcliffe married Mary Ellis 11 Nov 1794 both minors at time of marriage (PR-Doncaster Archives)
Regarding the Graves website I know of this and have had several discussions with Ken Graves where we differ on opinion on the parents of  Thomas who married Mary Ellis because they are 2 different Thomas') The Thomas on Ken's website was bpt 24 June 1776 at Snaith father William Graves. I can prove this Thomas went to live in London was unmarried and died 26 May 1856 Union Workhouse Poplar/London age 80 and buried Tower Hamlets 
Thomas Graves & Hannah nee Hutchinson are my 4 x gt grandparents
My paternal grandfather Henry Samuel Avery married Ellen Graves of Carlton.
Are you on Genes Reunited?? My tree is on there and my e-mail is * if you wish to discuss further
Regards
Bryan(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire

Offline kcstadium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again Felicity
Just thought to add a bit more in the hope you can come up with some ideas?
Thomas Graves married Hannah Hutchinson 25 April 1776 Snaith - source IGI M009233 + Parish Register Doncaster Archvies visit 5/03/2008 which quotes 'Thomas Graves of the township of Kellington and township of Eggborough'
So I am reckoning this Thomas was born c 1750 but of course he could have been born anywhere, not necessarily Eggborough/Kellington just because he was there at the time of his marriage.
There's no doubt in my mind that Thomas bpt at Rawcliffe 16 Feb 1777 is the son of Thomas & Hannah with Thomas (father) already deceased/ buried 30 June 1776 Rawcliffe at the time of the baptism of his son Thomas in Feb 1777.....
Hannah Graves (nee Hutchinson) is clearly the mother of Thomas bpt 16 Feb 1777 Rawcliffe:- sources IGI C109412 + Parish Register + Bishops Transcript (PR & BT are from Doncaster Archives both of which records do not give the name of the father neither do they suggest that Thomas was illegitimate) 
So far I have been unable to trace a birth/baptism of a Thomas to match the one who married Hannah Hutchinson. Maybe some records missing and I may never find the answer?
You mention your Graves family came from Snaith or around that region so do we have a connection?
My direct line is:-
Thomas 16 Feb 1777 Rawcliffe
John 1794 Rawcliffe who farmed at Qusquo Hall Carlton  up to the 1860's Thomas 1821 Carlton at Coates Hall Farm
Ellen born 1862 and buried at Snaith Cemetery 1932 (my grandmother)
Hope to hear from you if any further interest
Regards
Bryan
Graves - Yorkshire
Falkingham - Yorkshire