Author Topic: Where are Station Cottages, Forest Hall  (Read 25304 times)

Offline tglyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where are Station Cottages, Forest Hall
« on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help please, where might my ancesters have been living?...George Wilis Dawson(death) and Thomas Forrester(informant)

Where are Station Cottages, Forest Hall
I have a death certificate dated 1910 and the address of both is given as Station Cottages, Forest Hall, Longbenton.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Tony Palmer

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Where are Station Cottages, Forest Hall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

A bit about Forest Hall here:
http://www.aboutbritain.com/towns/forest-hall.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Hall
and map on genuki http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/gazplace?CCC=NBL,GR=NZ270690,PLACE=FOREST%20HALL
I imagine (although I don't know for sure, as I haven't been able to find them), that Station Cottages would be quite near the railway station

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline tglyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara, thanks for getting back so quickly.

Well thats a start as I couldn't find anything that deemed to be usefull.
I have checked with Godfrey Old Maps but they have said they haven't scanned this part yet.

Just thought maybe if I can find the cottages in the 1901 at least I will be able to see the other homes and maybe roads nearby that might give me a clue although I dont know who was living there in 1901.
Thanks again
Tony in Tamworth Staffs

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

I did an address search on 1901 census but couldn't find them unless they come under Longbenton which is possible, so going through the enumeration districts to see if I can see them that way

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:23 BST (UK) »
Do you have access to the 1901 census?

Enumeration district 14 reads

'.......Villas near Forest Hall Station, Briar Edge, Wakes Buildings, Wilson's Tce, Glebe Cotttages & Farm, Fir Trees Farm, Station Road, Forest Hall, Forest Hall Road......'

Ref is RG13/4808 fol.60 p.1 onwards

Barbara

Offline tglyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:36 BST (UK) »
thanks for the information.
I was just looking at the 1901 and the districts and like you found 14 and decided it looked promising.

I looked at page 8 of 42 and I found Railway Cottages.
Just looking at the the names of the folks living there and spotted Thomas Forrest....the name mentioned on the certificate, could it be him?  not sure about his wife name but what a starting place, there cant be many with that name.   
Just spotted Thomas's daughters name is Alice..the same name as the deceased wifes first name that had died much earlier at 39..mmmmmmmm
Still checking and a real thanks for your help so far
Tony

Offline tglyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:46 BST (UK) »
Well things are looking real good....
checked either side of Railway Cotts and found Briar Edge.
Google map next and blow me, right beside a railway line and very close to two stations...are they the metro stations.
Not sue where the old station might be.
What a success with my laptop on my knee and trying to watch the footie.
Still checking...the informant Thomas Forrest also mentions he is the son in law of the deceased George but need to connect his wife Susannah next
What a hobby....addicted really
Tony

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

great, I'll stop looking!  :)

(are you sure about surname Forrest, you put Forrester in your first query ~ is that with one eye on the footie?)  :)

There's a George W. Dawson widower aged 64 in Longbenton at the Cooperative Store House - but you didn't give age at death etc....

Barbara  :)

Offline tglyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Barabra....oppps sorry about the spelling, its Forrest........1 -2 to Liverpool lol.

Yes George Willis Dawson at the co-op is my ancester died age 70.

Dare not ask where that is, I have co-op Palmersville ? Forest Hall.
Is that a villa, place or road ?

May I say a real big thanks to all that have helped....still got to find the link between Thomas Forrest's wife Susannah and the Dawsons, nothing shown in the Dawson family from any census.....more work to be done.
Can only find for sure one female child a Jane Dawson from the census, no Susananah     arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Still looking...same score  lol
Thanks Barbara
xx