Author Topic: Wattons in Coleraine Area  (Read 21224 times)

Offline AUDREYW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wattons in Coleraine Area
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 April 09 19:04 BST (UK) »

Hello Rob,

Been looking at the information on your reply to Wattons in Coleraine Area, can you give me more information on the James Watton that you say died in WW1, son of John and Mary Watton and husband to Eliza.  Think he may be my great grandfather.

Thanks, Audrey.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 April 09 20:15 BST (UK) »
Audrey,
           The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) website lists James Watton, a Private in D Company of the 10th Battallion of the Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers who died on 7 Dec 1917. He was 45 years old and is listed as the son of John and Mary Ann Watton of Coleraine and the husband of Eliza Watton of Tullans, Coleraine.
          In Emerald Ancestors I found James Watton born to John Watton and Mary Ann Freeman on 1 Jun 1873 in Coleraine. There were two siblings listed on the IGI, Thomas, born 29 Jan 1876 and Martha, born 10 Jun 1979.
         In Emerald Ancestors I also found James Watton married Eliza Wilson in St. Patricks Church of Ireland, Coleraine on 1 Jun 1900.

Hope the above is of some help.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline AUDREYW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 April 09 22:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Kingskerswell

Many thanks for the information, the James Watton is my great grandfather, and thank you for the other siblings, didn't have Martha but had just found Thomas last week in 1901 census.

Much appreciated.
Audrey.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 April 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
James Watton, son of late John and Mary Ann Watton of Coleraine, married and living with wife at Tullans (?- or Pullans) outside Coleraine heading towards Ballymoney. Enlisted in Donegal and killed by sniper fire at Cambrai.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AUDREYW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 April 09 23:14 BST (UK) »

Thank you for the added information, do you possibly know anything about James and Eliza Watton's children, how many or names?
I know of a James born in 1900 and a Thomas  in 1903 but think there may be more.

With thanks
Audrey.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 April 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry, don't have any information on the rest of the family- just James because he was killed in WWI.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 April 09 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Audrey,
Do you know much about your GGfathers siblings or his parents?
I came across a Mary Watton  born in 1884 to a John and Mary Ann in the records for Kildollagh. Could this be a relative?

Regards,
Brncam
Articlave area, Campbell, Baird, Watton, McNabb, Ross and Bell

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 21:40 BST (UK) »
Audrey,
           The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) website lists James Watton, a Private in D Company of the 10th Battallion of the Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers who died on 7 Dec 1917. He was 45 years old and is listed as the son of John and Mary Ann Watton of Coleraine and the husband of Eliza Watton of Tullans, Coleraine.
          In Emerald Ancestors I found James Watton born to John Watton and Mary Ann Freeman on 1 Jun 1873 in Coleraine. There were two siblings listed on the IGI, Thomas, born 29 Jan 1876 and Martha, born 10 Jun 1979.
         In Emerald Ancestors I also found James Watton married Eliza Wilson in St. Patricks Church of Ireland, Coleraine on 1 Jun 1900.

Hope the above is of some help.

Regards

From Soldiers of the Great War on FindmyPast.com- James' service number 19889. Medal index card adds little else - entitled to Victory medal, British medal and 1915 star. Theatre of war France, qualifying date is 5-10-15, KIA.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline Ray1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 May 09 20:05 BST (UK) »
I have been told during some research into my maternal side that a woman whose surname was McCormack married Watton and was from the Colraine area can anyone shed any light on this.