Author Topic: Camp Followers !!  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Camp Followers !!
« on: Tuesday 13 April 04 10:07 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother were married in March 1902.When looking for them on the 1901 census neither show up.

I know he (George White) was in South Africa with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment until 31.05.1901.

She (Jane Swingler) shows up on the census's prior to 1901 as living at the same address with her parents,that she gave on her wedding certificate,where was she in 1901 ??.

I have long held the theory that she followed George out to South Africa,as what was known as a "Camp Follower".I know any women that followed the troops in this way,had to make their own way out there.Can anyone suggest where i look to prove/disprove this theory.By this i mean passenger manifests etc.

I know that George went out in January 1900 on the Umbria,don't yet know the ship he came back on.Jane if she did follow George in this way,would only have been out there for about 17/18 months.So i would only need to know ship arrivals/departures for South Africa from about Jan 1900 to June 1901.

George was discharged on 03.06.1901.He and Jane had a Child at the begining of March 1902 and were married at the end of March 1902.I am convinced they knew each other before he went to South Africa.

Stephen :-\
Surnames that I am intersted in are:- Siddons, Coulson, Clives, White, Cullin, Peers, Swingler, Lambeth, Quibell, Greenway, Beaman, Durrie, and Gibbs, all of Aston/Duddeston/Hockley in Birmingham,Warwickshire and Inskeep of Shrewsbury Shropshire and Birimingham

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:Camp Followers !!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 04 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Steven,

The first place to start for passenger lists is the ships list:

http://www.theshipslist.com/index.html

Your information may not be there but it has many links to useful sites.  Also check out the links given by JDG in the Immigration/Emmigration boards,  there are many transport links to find there.

If you can find out a likely port of departure,  a web search may help,  this will narrow down your field of search.  Also newspapers sometimes published passenger manifests.

Good Luck
Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 04 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information,i'll get going on it straight away and see what i can find.

I do know the port of departure and arrival back in the UK (for George at least) as i am in poccession of a copy of the 6th Royal Warwicks Diary for their time in South Africa.They left from and arrived back at Southampton,i also know the dates of departure and arrival back in the UK,11.01.1900 and 31.05.1901 respectively.

This i hope will give me a head start !!.

Cheers

Stephen ;D
Surnames that I am intersted in are:- Siddons, Coulson, Clives, White, Cullin, Peers, Swingler, Lambeth, Quibell, Greenway, Beaman, Durrie, and Gibbs, all of Aston/Duddeston/Hockley in Birmingham,Warwickshire and Inskeep of Shrewsbury Shropshire and Birimingham

Offline Steven1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 June 04 14:21 BST (UK) »
Yesterday (05.06.04) i finaly got the copy of the War Diary for my Great Grandfathers Reigiments time in South Africa.

The ship he came back on was the S.S. Bavarian of the Allan Line.Although it doesn't list names it does confirm that 30 women and 22 children were travelling with the troops.

Interesting to note that in the diary The women travelling with the officers were refered to as "Ladies".The women travelling with the Other Ranks were refered to as "Women".

The break i've been looking for !!.

Stephen :)