Author Topic: Hatton Mental Hospital - Rugby Workhouse  (Read 10867 times)

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hatton Mental Hospital - Rugby Workhouse
« on: Friday 19 September 08 19:11 BST (UK) »
My g grandfather, Norman Clarke was admitted to the Warwick County Lunatic Asylum (Hatton Mental Hospital) in 1922, I have his 'Order for Reception' and details of his death there in 1924, but there are some anomalies that I'm hoping others can shed light on!

It appears that he was transferred there from The Union Infirmary, Rugby, as this is given as his place of residence, and he is described as a 'pauper in receipt of relief' and 'of unsound mind'. Presumably this would be the infirmary attached to the workhouse?

The 'Statement of Particulars' attached to the Order give his relatives details as Mrs Norman Clarke, 195 Uttoxeter New Road, Derby (Wife) but the person to whom notice of death to be sent is given as Mrs Norman Clarke, J.W Pendred, Clerk to the Guardians, Rugby

The Derby address is completely unexpected, Norman's Death Certificate records his last address as Craven Road, Rugby.

Anyone have an insight into how the system worked and why the notice of death would apparently be set to his wife c/o the Clerk to the Guardians of the workhouse?

Andy_C

CLARK, CLARKE - Rugby - Coventry - Canada
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD

Offline dabs0

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hatton Mental Hospital - Rugby Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 September 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Rugby/Rugby.shtml

The above link gives you some details about Rugby Workhouse and it shows you where the infirmary was in relation to the workhouse. Workhouses were the predecessors of the NHS and a lot of old workhouses are now clinics or hospitals.

Hatton was also known as Hatton on the Hill and later as Central Hospital and the locals feared being sent "Up the hill" to the local asylum. I worked there in the late 70's as a nurse and there were a lot of people there that should not have been there. Such as a elderly man that had been there since he was 14 for stealing a sixpence, polish soldiers who did not go home after the war etc.

Even if you were a bit on the rebellious side you could be committed as a child and never leave the Asylum again!

Hatton was a large imposing victorian built building with long corridors and wards, there were no siderooms. The only side rooms were the equivelant of padded cells where you could be placed in a strait jacket and left in there till you had calmed down. This practice only stopped in the mid 70's as a new generation of drugs were taking over to be used as medical coshes in effect.

It was not unusual for families to be split up and if his wife was self supporting she may not have needed to enter the workhouse. There is also the possibility that the couple may have become enstranged, there would have been no pressure on the wife to support her husband as there would have been on him to support her! Addmittance to the workhouse on indoor relief is not something that anyone really wanted as it carried a stigma, so I assume that the couple were seperated hence the Derby address for his wife.

The Guardians were made up mainly upper class people who did their bit for "charity" and they would detail how the workhouses were run, oversaw staff appointments etc. The asylum would need to know about his death so as not to expect his return and they would more than likely still have been responsible for him and so would have had to be responsible for notiyfying the wife. Any one that was in reciept of relief were the responsiblity of the parish they were born in, so Rugby may well have been contributing towards his upkeep at Hatton, which comes under Warwick.

Check out Warwick Archives and see if they have the Board of Guardians minutes for that period, he may be mentioned in there.

This gives some details about Hatton, it is a housing estate now.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Rugby/Rugby.shtml
Wright and Lock, Warwickshire
Lenton, Warwickshire
Bloor, Staffordshire
Cresswell, Derbyshire
Bosworth, Derbyshire
Robinson and Bodfish, Warwickshire
Tharme/Thrume Farme Staffordshire
Pegg, Leicestershire

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 September 08 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi dabs0, thanks for that. I have looked at www.workhouses.org so know the background to the workhouse at Rugby.

Certainly the family was eventually split up, but I don't know if they were all in the workhouse at any time. I was hoping to be able to find records which might list them but Warwickshire CRO tell me that they don't have any records of workhouse inmates for the period.

I'm still trying to get the full medical records for my g grandfather from Warwickshire CRO, they have released some under a FOI request and I'm appealing against their decision to withhold the rest.

His death certificate records the cause as senile decay - I guess that would probably be what we call dementia.

Andy_C
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD

Offline dabs0

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 September 08 15:02 BST (UK) »
Senile Decay is indeed dementia, comes to us all!  ::)

Is there no admissions register for that period around, that is a shame if Warwick have not got that. Have you searched the A2A for that period, see if it is anywhere else?

As you have found out records can be withheld for up to 100 years after the death of our relatives, personally I think the goverment need to review its stance, like they are considering with the next census.   

Lenton, Warwickshire
Bloor, Staffordshire
Cresswell, Derbyshire
Bosworth, Derbyshire
Pegg, Leicestershire

Offline dabs0

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 September 08 15:10 BST (UK) »
Just checked A2A and all records that name patients have a 100 year closure record, so if he is in there, they more than likely will not allow you access. Sorry.

Good luck in your search, I would like to know how you get on as my father was admitted there in the early 90's.
Lenton, Warwickshire
Bloor, Staffordshire
Cresswell, Derbyshire
Bosworth, Derbyshire
Pegg, Leicestershire

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 September 08 16:38 BST (UK) »
Just checked A2A and all records that name patients have a 100 year closure record, so if he is in there, they more than likely will not allow you access. Sorry.

Good luck in your search, I would like to know how you get on as my father was admitted there in the early 90's.
What records did you find at A2A? I haven't been able to locate any relating to the workhouse inmates.

Andy_C
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD

Offline dabs0

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 September 08 17:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.a2a.org.uk/search/doclist.asp?nb=0&nbKey=1&com=1&keyword=CENTRAL%20HOSPITAL&properties=0601

It is difficult to know what they contain as they just state subject to the 100 year rule. CR2379 is intriguing and frustrating as it must contain names of patients to be subject to the 100 year.
Lenton, Warwickshire
Bloor, Staffordshire
Cresswell, Derbyshire
Bosworth, Derbyshire
Pegg, Leicestershire

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 September 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
Ah, those are the records for the Warwick County Lunatic Asylum (Hatton Mental Hospital). I already have copies of some of them and am trying to get the rest. It's CR1664 that contains the records for my g grandfather.

I'm not sure where else to look for records of the Rugby workhouse admissions.

Andy_C
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD

Offline Andy_C

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 January 13 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Just a short update to this - Warwickshire CRO did eventually release all my g grandfather's records from Hatton. Records can be released to a patient's 'personal representative' so my grounds for appeal against the withholding of medical records was that as I am a direct descendant, and my father and grandfather having died, I qualify as a 'personal representative'. This was accepted.

Regarding the Rugby Workhouse inmates, and Relief recipients - it seems that some of the Warwickshire Board of Guardians records held at Warwickshire CRO, such as the minute books and records of the relieving officers, may have information on my g grandfather's family if they received relief. Unfortunately most of the surviving records post date the period that I'm interested in (1893-1922), and some that may be relevant are closed under the 100 year rule, but I will appeal for the release of anything relevant.  I'm off to the CRO next month to see what I can find.

Andy
DUVAL, DUVALL - Kent
MINSHALL
HEWARD