Author Topic: 1841 census- Abernethy  (Read 17643 times)

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census- Abernethy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Judy,
                 I've got a copy of the marriage extract of Hugh Robertson and Mary Malcolm and it doesn't state any details at all, just says that Hugh Robertson of St Madoes and Mary Malcolm of Abernethy make a proclamation of marriage basically.

Hugh died on 30th March 1850 in Abernethy and because it is pre registration I don't have a clue as to where I may find details to do with his death or burial. When I do find out where I can find this info Im hoping that it will make mention of one or other of his parents for me. Fingers crossed  :-\

Thanks for your help

Kat

ROBERTSON- Glasgow, Bathgate, Newburgh, Abdie, Abernethy, St Madoes.<br />MALCOLM/CONSTABLE- Abernethy, Dunning.<br />FORSYTH/COWAN- Glasgow, Cathcart.<br />FOTHERINGHAM/PATON/PITKETHLY-Newburgh, Abernethy.<br />BISSLAND/MILLER- New/East Kilpatrick, Glasgow.<br />BARLOW- Lancashire, Glasgow.<br />MITCHELL/JOHNSTON- Buchanan, New/East Kilpatrick.<br />KILROY- London, MIddx/Balinrobe Mayo <br />KAVANAGH/NORTON-Dublin Eire

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 March 05 00:39 GMT (UK) »
No problem!

I will try to check that out for you tomorrow as I'll be at the library.

Ish
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Ish,
               Did you get the chance or time to look at the 1851 census at all???
If not, don't worry if its not possible and a very big thank you for your help once again.

All the best to you

Katarina
ROBERTSON- Glasgow, Bathgate, Newburgh, Abdie, Abernethy, St Madoes.<br />MALCOLM/CONSTABLE- Abernethy, Dunning.<br />FORSYTH/COWAN- Glasgow, Cathcart.<br />FOTHERINGHAM/PATON/PITKETHLY-Newburgh, Abernethy.<br />BISSLAND/MILLER- New/East Kilpatrick, Glasgow.<br />BARLOW- Lancashire, Glasgow.<br />MITCHELL/JOHNSTON- Buchanan, New/East Kilpatrick.<br />KILROY- London, MIddx/Balinrobe Mayo <br />KAVANAGH/NORTON-Dublin Eire

Offline ergozoom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 December 05 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I just joined the chatroom and see you were looking for your 5x GP Hugh Robertson who is also my 3x GP.

I can help in your query (2/3/05) re younger Mary.  The gravestone of Hugh Robertson and Mary Malcolm in the Abernethy churchyard shows:-

"also their daughter Mary who died 29/3/1900 aged 83 years."

I did not find her birth in the OPR's nor that of David.  I would be interested to know how you learned of him.

According to some notes I have of the Malcolm family Hugh's wife Mary was born at Abernethy on 4th February 1775 so was no chicken when Mary Junior was born in or around 1817.

Hope this helps

Ergo

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 December 05 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ergo,
                 Lovely to hear from you :). Im a direct descendent of Thomas Robertson, one of the siblings of David Robertson, so that would make us distant cousins of some sort.

David Robertson was born on 10 March 1814 in Abernethy Perthshire. This I found this information on a web site which published the Newburgh Congregational Church Parish Records, but I have not found anything on Scotlands People site yet about the birth of David nor of his younger sister Mary.

David married Margaret Fotheringham on 16 December 1846 in Newburgh Fife and they went on to have 5 children that I know about. Here is a list of the children:

1) Janet Robertson b 20/06/1850 Abernethy - Married James Brown (I dont know the date yet) - Janet Died 11/07/1901 and is buried at Abernethy Churchyard with her parents David Robertson and Margaret Robertson nee Fotheringham.

2) Hugh Robertson b 22/11/1851 -Died of Scarlet Fever in 1857 and is also buried with his parents in Abernethy Churchyard.

3) Mary Robertson b 27/07/1853 - Died of Scarlet Fever in 1857 and is also buried with her parents in Abernethy Churchyard.

4) Christian Robertson b 18/07/1855 Abernethy - Died of Scarlet Fever in 1857 and is also buried with her parents in Abernethy Churchyard.

5) William Robertson b 06/01/1859 Abernethy - nothing else known yet, and i believe he like Janet the eldest, survived to adulthood.

Getting back to David Robertson, the father of the above children - David built a house in Abernethy, a large house called Robertson House in Backwynd, Abernethy. I do not know if this is still standing or not and is probably now called something else.
David by occupation was a Salmon Fisher, Feuer and also a Magistrate - one very busy man all year round. on 7 June 1893 David died of Heart disease and was laid to rest with his wife Margaret who passed away on 3 August 1890, and of course with three of their children who sadly died from Scarlet Fever.

Im guessing that you must be descended from either Janet Robertson and James Brown or William Robertson and unknown spouse?

Going back to David's parents - Hugh Robertson and Mary Malcom, as you rightly said Mary was born on 4 Feb 1775 in Abernethy (to Thomas Malcolm and Janet Constable.) Mary was one of 7 children of Thomas and Janet. Not alot is known about Hugh Robertson. Its thought that he was born on 1 Jan 1869, but there is no proof yet but according to census return 1841 he was born in Perthshire.

Hugh and Mary married on 6 November 1802 in St Madoes, Perthshire and must have stayed there for some time after because 5 of their 7 children where born in Hawkstone, St Madoes- Hugh, Janet, Thomas, James and John. Between 1810-1814 the family moved to Abernethy, back to Mary Malcom's birth place and had two more children - David born 1814 and the very youngest, and the one i didnt know about until this year!, Mary born circa 1817.  Mary never married and is buried in Abernethy churchyard with her parents Hugh and Mary. Hugh Robertson was a Weaver by trade and would have had a comfortable existence in the early 1800's, as weaving was a well paid trade in those days.

Right, I will shut up for now and give you a chance to add or ask about our shared ancestors and soak in the info i have given you so far. I do have quite a bit more on the Malcom side of the family but I am absolutely stumped as far as finding out anymore on Hugh Robertson b 1 jan 1769.

Katarina

Offline ergozoom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 December 05 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Kat,

Sorry I have taken so long to reply - my computer has been eaten by virus bugs but is now clean as new.

Many thanks for all your information about David.  He was not on the microfiche in the Perth library when I looked many years ago, so I did not know about him. 

I am much impressed by all your knowledge and doubt whether I shall be able to add anything to what you already know. 

I too am descended from Hugh's son Tom so shall send you a personal message of identification.

You could be my long lost fairy godmother!!!  That would be good.

Cheers - Ergy

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 December 05 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ergo,

I think i am probably a distant cousin and it would be lovely to compare notes so i will send a private message to you.

Kat

Offline delrob

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 July 10 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi i was wondering if the James Robertson that you mention is any relation to myself.  I have managed to get as far back as James Robertson born around 1852 in Abernethy whos mother was a Sarah Roy and whos father was also a James Robertson.  - This is where i was wondering about as I do not know any other info about James senior, I dont believe that they were married although on James jnr marriage certificate it states his mother as sarah robertson nee Roy. James jnr then moved to Newburgh, Kirkaldy and back to Abernethy.  I will post more correct info if you can shed any light on my querie

Thanks

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 August 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My Robertsons are from Newburgh and Errol and I'm wondering if our families are related.

My ancestor Robert Robertson was a Labourer/Farmer born around 1800. He married Katharine Keir 1819 Errol before moving to Newburgh c1826. I have no direct evidence as to Robert Robertson's parentage as he died before 1851, however, I've made some deductions from some facts I've gathered:
There was a Robert Robertson buried in Newburgh Cemetery Lair 51, May 1848, Age 52. This is surely my ancestor.
Lair 51 was later purchased by Thomas Robertson, Mason in Newburgh and husband of Christina Fotheringham (They and several of their children are buried in the lair).
I therefore think it likely Thomas was Robert's brother, or less likely, a cousin.

There's no Robert recorded as being born to a Hugh Robertson, however there's a Hugh Robertson who married an Elizabeth Will 22 Nov 1794 at Saint Madoes and 24 Nov 1794 Errol. (Robert had no son called Hugh, but his wife didn't have a son named after her father either)
I could find no children recorded to this couple, but could this be a first marriage for Hugh? And could Robert have been born of this first marriage?
That's what I suspect, though sadly I haven't been able to prove it yet.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net