Author Topic: Parents of Elizabeth Beddoes  (Read 5079 times)

Offline boosh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Elizabeth Beddoes
« on: Sunday 21 September 08 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

I’m looking for the parents of Elizabeth BEDDOES.  She married Thomas WHITEMAN on 25 February 1813 in Culmington (found on IGI).  She died in 1856 aged 63 so that makes her birth year about 1794.  The 1851 census gives her place of birth as Shropshire (helpful!).  She and Thomas had the following children:

Mary
Anne
Thomas
Richard
Francis Edward
John
Henry

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Pip
Whiteman (Salop or links from other counties)
Sergeant (Yorks/Lincs)
Suttill (Yorks)
Davies (Herefordshire)
Cotton (Herefordshire)
Germaney (Lincs/Norfolk)
Andersson (Sweden/Lincs)

Offline Black Night

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Wife's Cat Guinness
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Elizabeth Beddoes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 September 08 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Boosh   This may, or may not be a link   Elizabeth Beddoes (Bare with me)  Born Abt 1763  Civil Parish Wentnor  SHROPSHIRE  Reg District Clun.  Sub Reg District Norbury.  All very close to Culmington, ????  could this be your Elizabeth's mum (Maybe unmarried?)  in the house hold are, Elizabeth Beddoes 78,Sarah Poutter 40, Elizabeth Poutter 11, George Beddoes 11, all from 1841 Census. Just a thought. Blacknight.

Offline boosh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 September 08 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Black Night

Thanks so much for taking the time do some looking around for me  ;D.  It's a suggestion I'll certainly persue.  Beddoes is the only family I've not been able to make any headway with. 

Thanks again

Pip
Sergeant (Yorks/Lincs)
Suttill (Yorks)
Davies (Herefordshire)
Cotton (Herefordshire)
Germaney (Lincs/Norfolk)
Andersson (Sweden/Lincs)

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 08 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Pip,
         you and me both,LOL my great grandmother,Agnes Beddoes born 1809,the family from Shropshire,married my great grandfather James Hickman (from Cleobury Mortimer,)1836 in Lindridge but would you believe,has her place of birth Bolton Lanchashire.
maybe these Beddoes like to keep us guessing.
Joyce
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline boosh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 08 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Joyce - nice to hear from you.

Yep, those pesky Beddoes are certainly giving me the run-around!  It's frustrating as it's the only part of my family history jigsaw that has so few pieces in it.  I'm sure there'll be some light at the end of the tunnel for both of us at some point. 

What do they say?  'Good things come to those who wait'...mmmm 

Good luck with your research Joyce  :)

Pip
Sergeant (Yorks/Lincs)
Suttill (Yorks)
Davies (Herefordshire)
Cotton (Herefordshire)
Germaney (Lincs/Norfolk)
Andersson (Sweden/Lincs)

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 October 08 22:33 BST (UK) »
 Hi Pip,
            I have quite a large family tree but this one has evaded me for years,then maybe I should do the obviouse and look in Bolton,LOl
 Joyce

http://www.tribalpages.com/tribes/j111048
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline boosh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 October 08 09:52 BST (UK) »
A smashing tree Joyce, congratulations.  A wonderful photograph of the Horseguards in their uniform too  ;)

Pip
Sergeant (Yorks/Lincs)
Suttill (Yorks)
Davies (Herefordshire)
Cotton (Herefordshire)
Germaney (Lincs/Norfolk)
Andersson (Sweden/Lincs)

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 October 08 11:52 BST (UK) »

Hi Pip,they are my husband and his brother,my husband was a trombonist in the band and his brother the french horn,put in army bands from childrens home.
Joyce

Offline boosh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Elizabeth Beddoes - COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 November 08 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thought I’d drop by with an update, it might be of use to anyone looking for the family names. 

I drew blank looking at census records and the IGI, it‘s no wonder!  I sought the help of Shropshire Archives and they came up trumps.  Elizabeth BEDDOES was in fact Elizabeth HAYNES and for what ever reason she called herself Beddoes.  The marriage register for Culmington shows her name and signature as Beddoes.   But there is other evidence to show that she was a Haynes. 

In her will she stated that under the will of Francis TIPTON, of Norton in the parish of Culmington, he left her his residuary estate and effects for her own and personal use.  Francis Tipton was her stepfather.  Shropshire Archives have a document to show Francis had borrowed money from his father in law Richard BEDDOES and he promised to pay Richard £100.  The record confirms that Mary BEDDOES was the wife of Francis and that by her first marriage to Edward HAYNES had two children, Elizabeth and Sarah.  Their father had left £200 in with Richard Beddoes.   

Francis’ will, dated 19 May 1841 states that after the death of his wife Mary, the residue of the estate was to be divided between her two daughters Elizabeth, wife of Thomas WHITEMAN and Sarah wife of Philip BACH

So there we are…The brick wall has been smashed and I can potter my way back further – fingers crossed!

Boosh
Sergeant (Yorks/Lincs)
Suttill (Yorks)
Davies (Herefordshire)
Cotton (Herefordshire)
Germaney (Lincs/Norfolk)
Andersson (Sweden/Lincs)