Author Topic: horse hand weaver?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
horse hand weaver?
« on: Sunday 30 January 05 03:40 GMT (UK) »
I've just found a female ancestor on the 1901 census who gives her occupation as 'horse hand weaver', anyone got any ideas as to what she actually did.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: horse hand weaver?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 January 05 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bee I Have never heard of a Horse Hand Weaver R U sure your ancester was not a horse hair weaver!  :D ......There were a lot of Horse Hair Weavers about weaving fabric On a Hand  Loom from the horse hair mainly from the tail of the horse and the mane.....As they generally clipped the horses tail anyway it became an ideal resourse owing to the amount of horses about...LOL....A Use for something they had plent of and an occupation for the women as well...Children were also employed as horse tail combers preening hairs from the tails of living horses...The Facric made was strong and very Durable and easy to clean making it ideal for uphostery....It Was also used as a stiffening fabric for Gentlemens coats and collars....Beautiful designs could be made using all the different coloured horses.....Very sort after by the Upper Classes.........Hope this has helped.....Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 January 05 04:47 GMT (UK) »
thanks Kris,

It did cross my mind that it might have been a transcription error, anyway it makes a change from all my domestic servants. :)

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 January 05 09:16 GMT (UK) »
House Hand Weaver? Surely by then any large production of woven goods would be by factory. Perhaps she worked from home?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk