Author Topic: Census request (1901)/death Charles S.Clubb  (Read 9852 times)

Offline Katie123

• My emails are not working at the moment sorry
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • HUNTing down the past (haha - GENIUS)
    • View Profile
Re: Census request
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 September 08 17:35 BST (UK) »
I am inclined to agree; seems too coincidental otherwise! Strange how he is nowhere to be found in 1901 though  ???
Byrne (Wexford), Hogan (Wexford), Hunt (London & Sussex) and Leeson (Northampton)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census request(1901)Charles S.Clubb
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 September 08 23:32 BST (UK) »
Well done DS & Katie123! Thank you so much for finding all this out.I'm really impressed.  I'm showing my ignorance,but where is Chorley?Is it in Lancashire too?Is n't it strange that Charles was listed as Thomas? Well, anyway I'm 100% sure this is my family.I knew Charles' middle name was Simpson & Maggie was 5 years older than him.Thanks also for finding Maggie in the 1881 census.I had n't got round to that one!I never thought of looking up the freebmd site. Your help's greatly appreciated.Going away to look up son George's birth details.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1901 census/death Charles Clubb
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 00:23 BST (UK) »
Checked out scotlandpeople.George Clubb's birth isn't there.So 1891 census
detailing his place of birth was incorrect.The 1901 census states George was born in Liverpool.Also had another look for Charles Simpson Clubb in 1901 census for Scotland but he's not there either,nor death.Can anyone find his death recorded in England please?Although Margaret states she's married in 1901 census perhaps she was widowed? Have found death of William Clubb,died 26 October 1918 (c.w.g.c.) age 23,Margaret was still at 5 Alexandra Street,Chorley but widowed.Margaret died in Chorley in 1936(freeB.M.D.) Is it possible to locate a headstone?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Census request (1901)/death Charles S.Clubb
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 18:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm still looking for the death of Charles. He's missing in the 1901 census & on his son's (Lance Corporal W.Clubb) memorial it states ..."the late Charles Clubb"
Can anyone help please?
flst :-[

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 December 09 16:16 GMT (UK) »
on that 1901 census the William Clubb age 6 is shown on Lancashire bmd births with mother's maiden name = Copland which proves it is your Margaret

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 December 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
there is also an Arnold Clubb born in Chorley in 1897 with mmn = Copland :)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 December 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi lancsann,
thank you very much for finding those birth entries!
Merry Christmas to you (& everyone who reads this!), 
flst
 :)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 December 10 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I still can't find Charles Clubb in the 1901 census. In the 1911 census his wife & family are still at the same address as 1901. Margaret states she's the head of the household but is down as married.Yet again Charles is not at home!.Today I received details of his police service & was surprised to find he'd been dismissed from the force, after being convicted at Lancaster Assizes on a charge of forgery & sentenced to 9 months imprisonment! The copy is faint but I think the date is December 1893.
flst

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 December 10 15:45 GMT (UK) »
It was reported in Berrow's Worcester journal on Saturday 23rd Feb 1895.

In brief Charles Simpson Clubb  age 31 , a weights & Measures inspector,was found guilty on Tuesday 19th Feb of forging a chqs for £7 and £4 5s at Chorley on 31st Dec 1894. member of police force at Chorley for 10 years where as a result of good behaviour had been promote to weights and measures inspector at a wage of £133 per year. Sentenced to 9mths imprisonment with hard labour

also reported in Blackburn weekly Standard & Express same day

extra details - pleaded not guilty but provided no evidence - they state forgery took place march 1894 - excuse - sickness in family of 4 children & forced though stress of poverty to use money but had no intention of cheating anyone.

Huddersfield Daily Chronicle Jan 24 1895

extra - weights and measures for Chorley & Ormskirk Divisions

signatures forged were the acquittance signatures of Messrs Baxendale and sons, ironmongers, to bills which he should have paid on behalf of the county for over £35 - bail was refused