Author Topic: Help needed please  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help needed please
« on: Tuesday 23 September 08 11:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please with this query.

Somewhere in Massachuttes, there may be the person I am searching for.
His name appears in the Mass.City Directory, and if the correct person, he is the half-brother of my late husband, which I very much doubt he knows about. I found it on Ancestry, just giving that detail but unfortunately no address or any business it may have been connected with.

So if someone in Massachuttes could vey kindly look up that detail for me, and let me know what information has been supplied, I would be very very grateful. I have been searching for any information about him  since 1993 (when I discovered who he was, sadly my husband never knew about him,and I would love to make contact, especially to discuss details about his mother (Blanche, her maiden name was Fraser)

His name is GORDON GRAHAM STUART STRINGER, If the entry is about the correct Gordon, he was born 9 Jan 1918 in Brightlingsea, Essex, father stated to be George Stringer, a Sapper in the Australian Army, he was wounded.
 during WW1, and was returned to Australia. His birth was registered in Ilford Essex, mother was
Blanche Stringer nee Fraser

I will wait with hope that some can do this for me, thank you.

Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 12:31 BST (UK) »
Can you give more exact details about the Ancestry entry?
I can't find anything listed for a Gordon Stringer in Massauchestts.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 14:41 BST (UK) »
Re your question.
I use Ancestry .co.uk. when I clicked on to any census on the search list, at the top of the page
under the first bar with the words,Home  My Ancestry  Search etc, was another pink bar, showing the following words
from the RH side saying tell us what yo think...switch bck to the old search experience then tourshowing on the page will also e a pink square on te left hand side into which you insert all the details of the person you are searching for, put as many details as you know, in this case more is better

Click on search, and on the RH side will appear a list of names, starting mostly with the person you hav entered, the following alist of similar or matching names and the records from which it has been taken.

I am using a fairly new laptop computer which uses Vista, but on my desktop computer, which uses Windows 2000, the pink bar described, does not appear!
So whether this new search facility only appears with Vista I do`nt know
It appears so far to be really good, and I hope it will beome a general facility for all computers, it certainly saves having to search through all different kinds of records.

For instance, for quite a number of years now, I have been searching for any information about my late husband`s half-brother, whom he knew nothing about, I inserted his name in the search column
Gordon Graham Stuart Stringer, his date of birth when & where, which is all the information I have
and after ploughing through pages and pages of matching & similar names, I suddenly saw his name,
and the information said it had been taken from the Massachuttes City Directory.
Unfortunately I have only the UK version of Ancestry and therefore have no access to this directory, which why I am hoping that someone in the USA may be able to access it and tell me what information is given about Gordon.
I am desperate to make contact with him before it is too late

I hope my information is clear enough for you to follow? I
am no computer expert and hope I have explained clearly?

Thank you for taking an interest in my query.

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
PS   Sorry
Just noted a mistake, I should have said on the LH side not RH
must be my old age catching up!!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 14:55 BST (UK) »
Can you give the town and year that come up for your results?  Often, Ancestry will give results from city directories if the two names happen to be near each other, so it's no guarantee that it's actually Gordon Stringer.

If you believe this man might be living, there are many online directories for people in the US, such as switchboard.com, that could give possible telephone numbers and addresses.

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 16:02 BST (UK) »
Soshellyesq, the entry shown just indicated Gordon`s name and that was all, stating that is was from the Mass.City Directory
I could not access any further info as I am not on the world Ancestry, only that for UK

This is very frustrating for me, I have been searchig for so many years now, and when I have at last found a reference to his name, cannot access it grrr. I just cannot afford to purchase world m/ship for Ancestry, I can just barely manage that for UK (unless the gov has a brainstorm and gives us OAPs a massive pensioni ncrease! ha ha I do`nt think

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 16:03 BST (UK) »
By the way, thanks for the mention given for another source of info I will try that now

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 16:18 BST (UK) »
I don't see any results that match him.  There are other people with the surname Stringer, but no Gordons.

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you fr trying anyway, it is appreciated.

I tried the site you mentioned, but unfortunately payment is required to obtain the details, I will have to think about that, in case it is more than I can afford at present.
There were 11 entries for Gordon Stringer, but none for the middle initials,  so it could prove costly to obtain the email numbers and find that it does not refer to the one I`m searching for.

It looks like back to the drawing board once again!
He would after all be aged 90 is still living, so it may prove too late berfore I can trace him.

However, I can hope that he may have married and had a family who may contact me eventually