Author Topic: 1891 census help please?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
1891 census help please?
« on: Tuesday 23 September 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is anyone up for a challenge ;D

I'm looking for Elizabeth, Elsie May and George Henry Fullagar in 1891.

Elizabeth was born in 1852 in Frinsted, Elsie May was born in 1888 and George Henry aka Henry George was born in 1890, both in Hoo.

This family spent their lives in and out of the workhouse but I can't find them there in 1891.  I am 99% certain they would have been living in this area but I have gone through the census (via Ancestry) page by page for Hoo and can't find them.

Elizabeth appears in the workhouse again by 1901, with her son George but no sign of Elsie May.  I have searched through the death records for this period but cannot find any trace of Elsie's death. 

I am almost sure that where ever Elizabeth and family were in 1891, they were not recorded on the census but would like a second opinion before I give up for good ;D

Any help would be very much appreciated and if anyone can find them I would be unbelievably grateful ;D ;D
KPM
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census help please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:09 BST (UK) »
I can't find them.  ???
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:29 BST (UK) »
If it helps to confirm that they're not on the census, then I can't find them either

Barbara  ???  :D
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 17:10 BST (UK) »
That makes three of us then!!!!!

Think it's time to admit that they're just not there :(

Thanks to everyone who had a look ;D

Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 23:09 BST (UK) »
I've got a couple of families like that, think they did it on purpose to annoy future family historians  ::)

Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 September 08 17:32 BST (UK) »
Think you're right Barbara ;D

My lot have been having a great laugh at my expense.  This particular family are not my direct ancestors (its my gr x 2 grandfather's sister) but I just cant resist them!!!  She seems to use a different name as it suits her.  She's really led me on a song and dance and I've loved every moment of it :D

One census she was married, then she wasn't (her children taking on different names).  She has been in and out of the workhouse (again using different names)  Some of her children were baptised in her name and some in the name of her supposed husband (banns read but never married - at least I cant find a marriage) 

There have been so many children with so many different men that I did at one time wonder whether she may have been following the oldest profession :o :o

Thanks for taking an interest - I'm off to check out the workhouse records again soon and see if I can find any thing more.

Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent