Author Topic: 1901 census can anyone find it  (Read 2205 times)

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 census can anyone find it
« on: Thursday 25 September 08 14:53 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find the 1901 census for stradey castle, pembrey Llanelly carmarthenshire.
but can't find it.
trying to find the name of a domestic or gardener that was to have worked there.
I need to claryify before I start searching else where.
Any idea's
Sharon

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1901 census can anyone find it
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 September 08 15:02 BST (UK) »
Looking for the 1901 census for stradey castle in Pembrey, but can't find it
can anyone help!!
Sharon

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census can anyone find it
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 September 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon - who are you looking for?  It is often easier to search for the person than the address.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Edit - just found your other thread and merged it - it's best to do one at a time to avoid duplication of effort and to include as much detail as possible.

Will see what I can find

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 September 08 19:46 BST (UK) »
Here's a photo - as might be surmised from the name (and that of the Scarlet's rugby ground) it's in Llanelli

http://www.francisfrith.com/search/wales/dyfed/llanelli/photos/llanelli_38751.htm

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 September 08 19:57 BST (UK) »
There are 33 districts in Llanelli in the 1901 census!

If you have access to it, click on "Llanelli" at the top and it will take you to a description of the enumeration districts - you'll need to look through them til you find the castle.  If you have trouble, post here.

I found a reference to a David LEWIS who lived at the castle - the record was of his daughter Fanny's death in 1918 and he predeceased her.

Might help a bit, although there are many, many LEWISes in the area.

;)

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 September 08 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Arronroots
I am not sure of the name to be able to use it for the census, it could be lewis, Thomas, Davies.  I just know that we had a relative that worked there.
The Lewis's own Stradey and merged family name with that of Mansell Lewis later.
Thanks sharon
PS thank you for the link, I had found and used that for Photo's earlier in the year.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 September 08 20:12 BST (UK) »
I see!

Let us know if you get stuck with the registation districts - 33 is a bit daunting I must confess!

;)