Author Topic: Bedford Record Office - Gaol Register  (Read 2764 times)

Offline jimbohodge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bedford Record Office - Gaol Register
« on: Sunday 30 January 05 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have a few criminals in my family history.
I was wondering whtehr anybody would be kind enough, when they next visit the Bedford Record Office to have a look at the originl Gaol Register for me?

I would like to find anybody with surname 'Fowler' from Harlington, maybe Toddington and surrounding area also.

In particluar, James Fowler and Amos Fowler, two brothers, i know they may have many cases in there!!

If you do find anything, and photocopying is available, go CRAZY! Make as many photocopies as you think i might need. I will defiantely be willing to pay for any expenses when photocopying.

James and Amos Fowler were both born about the early 1840's!!

Please help me!!!
Thanks

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bedford Record Office - Gaol Register
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Woburn Petty Sessions

31.12.1858 Joseph Fowler was accused of stealing a pickaxe which was found in his barn 27.10.1858. He assaulted the arresting officer & bit his hand - he was committed for trial at the assizes.

27.9.1859 James Fowler - committed for 2 months for stealing a knife belonging to William Teagle.

Jan 1862 Joseph Fowler - found guilty of stealing a quart of milk - 6 months hard labour.

19.12.1864 James & Amos Fowler, "Ticket of Leave " men (previously convicted for sheep stealing & sentenced to 3 years). They failed to report to the police as their agreement stated.  James was acquitted whilst Amos was warned he might have his licence recalled & be re-committted.

16.10.1868 Amos Fowler - charged with stealing a ferret.

24.2.1868 James Fowler - sentenced to 10 years for breaking & entering the house of Alfred Fowler, at Toddington, & stealing a cash book & other articles. Removed to Pentonville 24.4.1868
(Alfred was his brother wasn't he?)

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline jimbohodge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Criggy!
Did these come from the information that you sent me via E-mail?
Yes Alfred was his brother, i read the newspaper report and have a feling he was in on the crime!!

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, they did. I will send the rest of the article by e-mail.

I'm a bit confused. Did James steal from his own brother, Alfred? If so, would that mean testified against him?

Regards

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline jimbohodge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes, i was confused at first too!
Alfred was running a grocery shop for another man, and was staying at the houe above the shop, James and Amos stole from the cellar of the shop, not actually from Alfred!!
When alfred gave his evidence, he tried to push the blame on to somebody else, who had nothing to with the affair!!!
Also, the window that they crept in through was already left misteriously open.... how strange?
cheers
James

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi.....you may be interested to know that Kew has a prison register for Pentonville which has some photographs of convicts. I was lucky enough to find my
Gt/Grandfather's photo........however was a later date than the ones that relate to the Fowlers....... mine 1879.
When sent to Pentonville they did 9mths solitary on the treadmill. After that usually sent on somewhere else and mine landed up at Portland.

Just of interest maybe, Waterfall
Bedfordshire. Hull, Lines
Buckinghamshire. Hull, Lines
Hertfordshire, Hull, Lines
Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews
Durham, Lincolnshire, Abbey
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 April 05 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

In particluar, James Fowler and Amos Fowler, two brothers, i know they may have many cases in there!!

Please help me!!!
Thanks

Jim

Amos FOWLER and James FOWLER are on-line: at least their mug-shots [photos] taken at Bedford gaol in 1868 are [trial date 25th Feb 1868] and also their descriptions, aliases and previous convictions... it ain't a pretty sight!

Do a google search for " Bedford Gaol " - if you dont find them e mail me at audreyjoycemcc@aol.com

cathy

Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 April 05 01:22 BST (UK) »
Don't Amos and James look alike?

If you are wondering about their trial [it will be the assizes] and kept at the National Archives at Kew. 

It might not tell you much more...but I don't know as I have never looked at assizes stuff.

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]