Author Topic: Hodgkiss Family  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hodgkiss Family
« on: Saturday 27 September 08 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hi guys -

out of interest is anybody on here related to the Hodgkiss's

The hodgkiss's Travelled around Brewood, Penkridge, Cannock and into Wolverhampton.

Alot of them made Besoms as a living, and Hawkers.

I know they married women with the maiden names Smith and Lovell.

hodgkiss
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgkiss Gypsy Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hiya
Just read your post, not to sure if there is a connection bt i am a hodgkiss, my father side where the Hodgkiss's they all seem to have descended from the Shrewsbury/madeley shropshire area?
Not sure if they could be linked to your hodgkiss's?
reply asap

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgkiss Gypsy Family
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
My hodgkiss line come from Wolverhampton, Brewood, Bishops wood, Cannock that sort of area. Travelling backwards and forwards.

I havent found any yet in Shrewsbury/Madely. But obv this isnt to far from me. There wasn't and still isnt alot of Hodgkiss's about. And im sure that we must all be related, but it could be from a long long time ago.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Markymark87

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Hodgkiss Family
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 16 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there, my mothers fathers family are the Hodgekiss's. My grandad came from the Shareshill area and then moved to Brewood.  The Hodgekiss's in Penkridge were Alf Hodgekiss who lived up Goodstation Lane was my grandads uncle, then there was? He was the gravedigger in Penkridge and was married to lil and had daughters Denise and Sharon, he was my grandads second cousin. I don't know if this helps you any, or is related.

Offline Rachel H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if the people who have posted on this thread are still around?  I'm descended from the Hodgkiss family on my Dad's side.  My great, great grandfather William Hodgkiss was born in Penkridge in1853 but changed his name to Hodgkinson when he married in Rugeley in 1871, as did various other male members of the family during the 1800s.

My 3x great grandfather came from Brewood, born 1824.  His name was Aaron and he had an older brother called James born in 1821, also born in Brewood.  Their parents were James and Kerenhappuch.  He married Mary Hodgkiss whose father was called William.  I'm thinking they may be related to your family line, Hodgkiss.  Would love to hear from anyone, especially as I'm struggling to sort it all out.  Another RootsChat member did some great work on suggestions for their connections but I don't have anything concrete yet.

I also have a Edward Hodgkinson in the family and I'm trying to find out if he is connected to the James who married Kerenhappuch as he was born around the same time (1796)in Brewood. Edwards's granddaughter, Maria Haycock, marries William Hodgkinson.  William and Maria are my great, great grandparents.  If anyone has any insights or connections I'd love to hear from you.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 February 19 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Just to add

John Hodgkiss, a salt hawker, from Wolverhampton appears in the Worcestershire Chronical in 1881 (travelling with a woman named Sophia) and then again in 1888.

Jane Hodgkiss, a broom hawker, belonging to Wolverhampton had her purse stolen in 1881, it was reported in the  Staffordshire Sentinel.

and

Annie Hodgkiss, aged 63 a hawker, of no fixed abode, who, making her 134th appearance (for drinking), was sentenced in Birmingham in 1933. That was reported in the  Birmingham Daily Gazette.

also

Charged for allowing a horse to stray, Richard Hodgkinson, a hawker, Uttoxeter (Uttoxeter is a market town in Staffordshire, England, close to the border with Derbyshire) in 1892 as reported in the Derby Daily Telegraph.

Hopefully the others pickup your topic again Rachel H
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 February 19 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Hodgkiss, besom maker, Rugeley, was summoned for being drunk and disorderly at Bridgtown in 1884.  Lichfield Mercury Newspaper.

Edward Hodgkiss, besom maker, and Benjamin Lunt, labourer, charged by Sergeant Myatt with highway offences in Tan Yard-lane, Wood Mill in 1869. Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal .

Priscilla Hodgkiss, besom maker, was placed before the Bench charged with having stolen a quantity of underwood, growing in a coppice in 1856.  Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser.

Thomas Hodgkiss, besom maker, was charged on bis own confession with being a deserter from H.M. 's 23rd Regiment of Foot in 1862. Staffordshire Advertiser. <---- records??

William Hodgkiss, besom maker, Wolverhampton, for a lowing his horse to stray about the highway at Tettenhall in 1865. Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser.

James Hodgkinson, besom maker, Rugelely, was brought up in custody charged with maliciously damaging a quantity of underwood 1867.Staffordshire Sentinel and Commercial & General Advertiser

John Hodgkiss, besom maker, was summoned for cutting underwood the Chase, property of Marqois Anglesey in 1878.  Staffordshire Advertiser.

John Hodgkinson, besom maker, aged 20(born 1840 ish), and Joseph Haywood, labourer, aged 19, pleaded Guilty to stealing donkey, at Boylstone in 1861. Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald.

William Hodgkiss (26, born 1863 ish?), besom maker and salt hawker, 32, Brook Street, was charged with attempting to murder his mother, Mary Hodgkiss in 1889 at Wolverhampton.

John Hodgkinson, Uttoxeter, besom maker charged with doing wilful damage cutting underwood in Bogots Woods, the property of Lord Bagot in 1883. Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Hodgkiss Greg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 February 20 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all on this chat. I am in Melbourne Australia and a Hodgkiss through my Fathers line. We have worked a fair bit through the genealogy of Hodgkiss on our line, and one discovery made originally  by a professional researcher for my Father in the 1950's is we all go back to a John Hodgkiss in the mid 1700's where the name begins apparently. The story is that  he was born Hodgkins. Later as a young man he was assisting the parish vicar to update baptism records and discovered his own entry was incorrectly spelt - from HodgkiNs to HodgkiSs and he liked it so changed his name.

As far as we can tell its through his 4 sons through which the modern hodgkiss family (no E) descends.

My line leads us back to St Mary Parish in Worcester just south west of Birmingham.  I am writing from the office so don't have the lines in front of me but if you would like more info please write to me.

We have a Mary Hodgkiss in the line so there may be a link to one of the posts above. 

It appears many of the hodge' (and hotch) names derive from Bavaria and one discovery by the professional researcher showed a direct link to the modern hodgkiss family were servants to the Bavarian Court when it married into the British Royal family.

Our line ended entirely up in Hampshire - Portsmouth through my Grandfather (Royal Navy) first world war but I have since met other Hodgkiss's near Portsmouth through other John Hodgkiss  lines as well as in Windsor (still a butchers shop there called Hodgkiss Butchers) but now owned and run by a Son in Law (1990's when I lived in England), Isle of Mann, Australia, NZ and USA.

In Australia in Queensland there is a small river named Hodgkiss Creek named after our earliest pioneer.

Regards

Greg

Offline XxlisaxX85

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 January 21 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hey my great great nan was the priscilla hodgkiss in that news article. I'm doing a family tree for my mom . Would be great if you could get in touch. Lisa