Author Topic: Records for Coroner, Limehouse, Stepney 1842  (Read 1542 times)

Offline marcol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records for Coroner, Limehouse, Stepney 1842
« on: Saturday 27 September 08 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know where I can find any records for a coroner in Limehouse, Stepney in 1842?

A death certificate for John COLLYER says the informant was "W BAKER, Coroner, 3 Crosby Square" and the death was registered in the sub-district of Limehouse.  COLLYER was living in Shoreditch in 1841, and the age on the death cert is 12 yrs off the age in the 1841 census so I am trying to make sure I have the right one.

Limehouse coroners' records don't come up on the LMA's website - if they don't have them, who does? (If they exist.)

Any suggestions welcome - thanks.

Mark

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records for Coroner, Limehouse, Stepney 1842
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 September 08 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Even though the records don't show up on the database I would still send the enquiries team at the LMA an email asking if the records still exist and, if so, where.

They'll take a few days to reply, I know that they have far more in storage there than they have got round to putting on their 'online' catalogue.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline marcol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 September 08 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn - thanks for that. I'm due to visit LMA on Tuesday (I live out of London so these visits are major overnight jobs) but I'll ring them Monday to see if they can give me a heads up before my visit. Death cert arrived in this morning's post and the age discrepancy with the 1841 census threw me - occupation matches but no home address given. Cause of death: "Natural causes by the Visitation of God" ... hardly surprising at age 78, so I'm not expecting the coroner's records to be terribly thrilling but I just need to know it's the right person.  Mark

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 September 08 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Have a nice day at the LMA on Tuesday, it will be busy, Tuesdays and Thursdays always are. (apparently to do with late night opening)

Have you been since the re-fit earlier this year? if not, you'll notice there are less readers. Top tip, at lunch time, leave your stuff on your reader and literally only have 10 mins, the staff won't move your stuff away in that short a time. If you take your stuff away, you most probably won't have a reader when you get back.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline marcol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 September 08 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the message. I have been since the refurb - can't understand why it's always so hot in there. (Though at least the film readers are the motorised modern ones - I couldn't believe the ancient hand-cranked readers at the Guildhall Lib!)

As I travel a long way, I don't usually arrive until lunchtime - so I'm probably one of those people who nick your microfilm reader while you're having a quick lunch !!

Mark

Offline Kakaka10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark
I have the same issue can you let me know if the LMA had any records ?
Thanks
Lauchie

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 February 19 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauchie

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Mark hasn't been online here for quite a few years now, but here's a link to LMA research guides.

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/visitor-information/Pages/information-leaflets.aspx

The one for the coroners is under Courts, Legal & Crime if the link below stops working

https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/RESEARCH_GUIDES/web_detail_rg/SISN+65?SESSIONSEARCH

What are you specifically looking for?

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Kakaka10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawnsh
thanks for your reply I’m looking for the coroners inquest for the sudden death of my 2x great grandmothers first husband. His death certificate shows Coroner W Baker presided. So I thought I’d see if there was a report on this.

Thanks again
Lauchie