Author Topic: Robert HUTTON/ Catherine DOWNEY late 19th century  (Read 83969 times)

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grandmother, Myrtle Isabel
    • View Profile
Re: Robert HUTTON/ Catherine DOWNEY late 19th century
« Reply #342 on: Saturday 24 January 15 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susie :)
Perhaps we found some of this previously Susie.  Can't remember and I don't think our earlier emails survived the transfer when I installed my latest computer.

My emails certainly haven't survived Cando.......but if i remember correctly.......and my brain isn't functioning wonderfully today.......the Trove offerings weren't as abundant then, and I rang the Corowa Historical Society and after some time they found an article mentioning John. The Trove entries suggest what i had suspected, that John was long gone before Ellen was released.

He is listed as Hairdresser shop owner in Waratah in the Post Office Directory 1890-1891 (http://catalogue.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/RD/?series=postoffice&thumb=49600 page 145.

So......when he travelled across must be between 1893 when he is selling his hairdressing shop and 1897 when he is accounted for in Corowa. He certainly wasn't living in Tasmania when Ellen had the next child.
Now to find her death.......it is still a mystery.......I did get the Tasmanian BDM to do a search (charged well too!) and they couldn't locate her.......so, I think I need to go to Tassie and spend some time with my nose in the records!

Susie xx

http://catalogue.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/RD/?series=postoffice&thumb=49600
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Hutton : Edinburgh, Scotland
Downey : England
Ingram: St George East, Middlesex and New Zealand
Roberts : Grafton, NSW
Blackadder : Grafton, NSW
Gillett : Grafton, NSW
Brocklebank :Carkettle, Lancashire
Bowes : Ulverston, Lancashire
Rose : Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire, Scotland
Kelleher:County Cork, Ireland
Shepherd : Helpringham, Lincolnshire

Offline Jadbates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: Monday 26 January 15 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I am amazed at the depth of information provided here so generously. Thank you.

I have been slowly going through all the posts and working out where everyone fits - particularly for Robert Francis, but all the siblings also provide great information.

I have been trying to confirm more of the links to Corowa in order to prove or disprove the family story that Robert was abandoned in Waratah and lived in the stables behind the butcher.

Anyway, as part of my travels I found this link:
http://stmaryscorowa.org/2013/12/02/1978-parish-history-ch-10/
which, in part, states:

"ST PATRICK’S, BALLDALE
The first settler at Balldale was Charles Henry Knight. He came from Melbourne to the goldfields at Beechworth by bullock cart, then worked for a short time on Gulliver’s “Lilliput” station before settling at Balldale in 1848. He married Ann Gulliver from “Lilliput” and their descendants remained in the district for over one hundred years. At a later stage the Browns, Kaines and Grenells came."

I am suggesting that the first settler, Charles, is possible related to James Bernard KNIGHT who married Mary Victoria HUTTON.

Kind regards
Merrelyn

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Monday 26 January 15 09:43 GMT (UK) »

I am suggesting that the first settler, Charles, is possible related to James Bernard KNIGHT who married Mary Victoria HUTTON.

Oh, Merrelyn...............I actually knew Aunty Mary.......she and my mother (her niece) were close and Aunty Mary died in 1973.
She was bought up by the Catholic nuns, and then taught at the school. She also was a tight rope walker and a trapeze artist.....both skills she learned from John Thomas (Sen) and which she passed on to her son Teddy, who traveled the world with Circuses.

"I have been trying to confirm more of the links to Corowa in order to prove or disprove the family story that Robert was abandoned in Waratah and lived in the stables behind the butcher. "

I remember talking to Uncle Teddy (who was born in Balldale/Corowa) and him talking about his uncle Robert......and Teddy saying that all the kids were looked after by the nuns......but I can't confirm for you that Robert went with them to Corowa.
I wonder if there are shipping records of that time? Or the owners name of the butchers shop in Waratah, to see if it was possibly a relative. It would be wonderful if you could find out the full story.

Cheers
Susie xx
Kelleher:County Cork, Ireland
Shepherd : Helpringham, Lincolnshire

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: Monday 26 January 15 19:51 GMT (UK) »
And here is Aunty Mary Knight (the daughter of John Thomas Hutton (senior) and Robert and John Thomas (Junior) or as we called him....Jack..... Hutton's sister.

With her beloved husband Jim Knight, and one old and one young Aunty Mary.

Cheers

Susie